Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Crucial Chem Engineering Industry Knowledge

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 rectification24

rectification24

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:18 AM

Hey guys,

as there are a lot of experienced chemical engineers on this forum I would like to ask you guys a question. Could you please tell me what sorts of knowledge are very important in a chemical engineering industry? I mean what do we (graduated students) need to know or what is crucial to know if you want to work in a serious company?

Is that knowledge of Heat Transfer, Mass Transfer, Petrochemistry, programing skills...? Also I would like to know what kind of programs are very important to know (Mathlab, MathCad, Excel...)?

I know that everything is important but I just want to know which are the things that are crucial for a succesful career in chemical engineering?

Cheers,

Filip 

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:47 AM

All you need is to complete your studies. Graduating at the top of your class is helpful, too.

Bobby

#3 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:58 AM

Problem solving is critical.  Once hired, you will be given multiple tasks or problems.  Your success will depend on how well you complete the tasks or solve the problems.  Each job is different.  There will be different companies, different end products, different raw materials, different technologies, different unit operations, different size of operations, etc.  We don't know what you will encounter, nor do you.  So at this stage in your education, EVERYTHING is important to add to your collective memory so when you are given a task/problem you can recall it, refresh your recollection with references, and use it quickly and confidently.  So, learn all that is required to graduate AND expand your knowledge into as many areas and tools as possible.  Use all the time you have wisely and learn all that you encounter until you understand it.  Knowledge is power!

#4 SUPERCHEMIST

SUPERCHEMIST

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:18 AM

Bobby is completely right. First complete your studies with the best marks ever. This will let the people know that you have a good (or not) background depending on the University and the subjects you have chosen. But one thing will be very clear: you work hard for your objectives, and have the determination to find information and study to solve problems or fill your "background holes" if needed. Good luck.

#5 samayaraj

samayaraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:28 AM

Filip,

According to me, you need to know the art of applying your studies & experience in practical situations. This values your potential in the industry. When I graduated in 2009, I was like a blind men in this industry. Once I started facing the challenges, it made me to apply knowledge & experience to shine in the industry. Here in this forum, there are lots of discussion will be going. Look at this and you feel comfortable in specific area & concentrate on that. It will help you in building a strong foundation.

#Samayaraj

Edited by samayaraj, 19 January 2015 - 11:29 AM.

#6 rectification24

rectification24

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:48 AM

Thank you guys a lot for your great answers. I think I understand what you want to tell me.

Cheers,

Filip

#7 P.K.Rao

P.K.Rao

Gold Member

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:33 AM

Much is already said. Just I want to add a little. You will  be a mason after you get your degree. You have got  bricks, sand, cement and iron. How you build a house is your technique and your individuality.

#8 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:28 AM

P. K. Rao,

Well said!