Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Sp-P&id Instrument Requirements

sp-p&id instrument tag numbering

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Diep Thanh

Diep Thanh

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:42 PM

Dear All,

I need your helps, please!
I have to conduct SP-PID preparation with some instrument requirements of Client. There are two points which I can not understand clearly as below:

1.Instrument tag numbering references.

2.Tag numbering for instrument function.
Take my attachment as an example,as my understanding, the first one is described for tag numbering references such as FT-201, FT-202, FV-201 etc.., and the second one is described for the function of instruments, e.g. FT- flow transmitters, FV- flow control valve, FE- Flow element. However, if so, the first one can cover the second requirement !?!
Could you please help me about it?
Thank you very much and have a nice day

Attached Files

#2 senthil13

senthil13

Veteran Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:49 PM

Yes, you are correct.  FT- XXX  means Flow Transmitter - Number XXX .Check with your Clients numbering philosophy.

The same thing applies for other parameters such as temperature, pressure etc., and their functions whether it is a transmitter or controller or an element.

Also, the client should provide their preference on naming and numbering philosophy as a part of the project design basis. Please clarify that with your Client.

#3 Diep Thanh

Diep Thanh

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:14 AM

Thank you senthil,
As you have mentioned above, I just have to indicate only FT-202( for example) for flow transmitter, that meet two requirements of Client right? Do you know what is difference between " tag numbering references" and "tag numbering for instrument function"? I believe that for instrument function, we just have only "tag name" ( e.g. FT,FV,FE...), so "tag numbering for instrument function" should be "tag name for instrument function"?
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

#4 rahulavyas

rahulavyas

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:36 AM

It is recommended that one follows the philosophy or standard as provided by client, if they have standard of numbering say for e.g

FT - 2001 where FT is Flow Transmitter, while 20 may the area or unit and 01 is the number of transmitter

Similarly one can have FV (Flow valve), PT (Pressure Transmitter) etc.

Generally client prefer going by existing unit numbering sequence as most of the operating personnel are very well conversant with the numbering  philosophy.