Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Questions Regarding Hysys

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 peter317

peter317

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:58 AM

Hello all,

I'm a Junior Process Engineer facing some difficulties modeling an upstream facility, I would really appreciate it if you helped me out in the following questions:

1- For heating value calculation of the gas, I use GPSA tables and using excel and mole fractions of the gas, I get the heating value. Here are two questions:

A)The data aquired from GPSA are for ideal gas and my gas is at elevated T and P, how can I correct for that?

B) each time I want to calculate heating value, I go to Excel sheet since HYSYS give me "empty" for LHV and HHV, Could you explain how to link excel with HYSYS?

2- How can I use the gas in fueling a heater in the flowsheet (convert a material stream to energy one)?

Thaaaaaaaaaaanks a million in advance

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:25 AM

Are you sure you looked closely at HYSYS for calculating heating values?

Bobby

#3 peter317

peter317

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:47 AM

Yes sir, I did. Kindly find a screenshot attached...

Attached Files

#4 shan

shan

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 692 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:46 AM

The stream HHV/LHV values disappearance problem is because there is (are) hypothetical component(s) in your considered stream.  If you define a stream the same as the considered stream and specified all the hypothetical compositions as 0, you will have the HHV/LHV values back.

#5 peter317

peter317

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:14 PM

Dear Mr. Shan,

Your comment is very helpful, the hypo components are almost negligible in my stream and I can just ignore them without much of a worry. I defined another stream and I got the heating value just as you advised. 

I used cut/blend in oil characterization to get those hypo components, why HYSYS can't get their HV? also, could you please answer the second question?

Thanks, your entry really helped me...