Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

High Pressure Drop Through Glycol Filter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 PendekarLaut

PendekarLaut

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:34 PM

Even already change with new filter high PDT still occur. No damage to filters but still high PDT.

filter - 10 micron

flash tank pressure - 509 kpag

glycol filters - 430 kpag

* glycol with gases throughout glycol filter. 

#2 ahmadikh

ahmadikh

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:06 PM

Is there any continuous/intermittent purging e.g. nitrogen for both the tapings of your PDT? The issue might be related to the pressure instrument since you have installed a brand new filter.

#3 PendekarLaut

PendekarLaut

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:44 AM

Already perform zero check on transmitter & pressure gauge. all in good condition.

flash vessel experience high level. when open the glycol filter all filters still in good condition..

#4 shan

shan

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 692 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:50 PM

Bypass the filter to see if it really is the filter problem.

#5 MTumack

MTumack

Gold Member

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:53 PM

Is this a new installation experiencing problems, or is this rearing its ugly head after a couple years of operation?

In addition, what kind of flowrate are you seeing and what is the flow area through the filter? I know nearly 5 psid seems high through one component, but often these things aren't recommended for change out until like 25 psid. What does the manufacturer specify is the typical operating drop? At what temperature do they say change out is required?

You might be right where you are supposed to be. I'd call the manufacturer to confirm if you dont have those numbers handy.

#6 PendekarLaut

PendekarLaut

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:44 PM

No bypass line for glycol filter. Bypass line only for carbon filter.

This thing already operated for 1 years. when DP reach 70 kpag high alarm will triggered. Manufacturer recommended to use 10 micron filters and when PDT reach 70 kpag need to replace filters.

Right now i have to bleed gases from glycol filter & carbon filter to reduce the DP. It seem like gases cause the High DP. After one day, even bleed the gases glycol filter will clogged.

manufacturer GPS.

#7 MTumack

MTumack

Gold Member

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:54 PM

Have you spoken to them with respect to the filters viability with Gas?

I would say it is an industry standard to have a Flash-Drum upstream of the Glycol Filters. Do you have one installed upstream? If no, maybe that is something to consider, if yes, maybe your problem is with your Flash Drum.

#8 shan

shan

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 692 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:34 AM

Try to eliminate gas flash from the filter by lowering flash drum pressure or cooling the glycol prior to entering the filer.

#9 PendekarLaut

PendekarLaut

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:11 PM

Try to eliminate gas flash from the filter by lowering flash drum pressure or cooling the glycol prior to entering the filer.

Flash drum pressure - 5.2 Barg.

how much gas pressure i need to reduce?

#10 MTumack

MTumack

Gold Member

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:02 PM

You need to get it so that the Gas flashes in Flash drum, or find a way so that it doesn't Separate in the Glycol Filter which is acting like a Coalescer at the moment. I'd say the first option would be my preferable one, seeing how your flash drum is specifically for that function.