Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Designing A Specific Pump

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Shahzad Ahmad

Shahzad Ahmad

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:30 AM

Dear Members,

I am new to this group and also have started professional carrier recently. As a first assignment of my professional career, I have to prepare a process package of pump designing.

Here in Industry, we are installing an RO unit. For cleaning of RO unit, bozers of sulfuric acid and caustic soda need to be unloaded in two storage tanks each of capacity 5 metric cubes. I need to design most suitable pump for this unloading. What should be my starting point.

Also it must be clear that the said storage tanks will be filled once in a month..

Regards,

Shah..

#2 Ajay S. Satpute

Ajay S. Satpute

Gold Member

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:20 AM

Shah,

Welcome to Process Engineering Calculations. :)

You might wish to start with the rough sketch of the system you need to design. A simple report (problem statement, available data, assumptions, references, equations used) should be useful to revisit your work.

In the given system, there are following main items;

A. Tanks (try to get more information regarding, why 5 m3 volume, tank dimension etc.)

B. Suction piping (find out ways to minimize pressure drop, velocity criteria)

C. Discharge piping (what is required pressure at RO unit, any control valve in the line, additional pressure drop causing items)

D. Pumps (learn about NPSHa, type of pump usually used in such applications, what is the max/normal flow rate required, pump operation frequency and duration, do you need minimum flow control valve or orifice, power requirement, fluid properties)

Are you going to size the pump yourself or planning to provide process parameters to vendor/consultant to do the same for you?

Regards.

Ajay S. Satpute

#3 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:40 AM

Shah:

Before going further,  what are "bozers" and "RO" (restriction orifice?) and are you doing a MECHANICAL design or a PROCESS design?  It is important to clarify these points.

As Ajay points out, there are other things to specify in your scope of work:

• What is the maximum transfer pumping rate allowed (or desired) in your location?
  • Are you going to dedicate individual pumps to the acid as well as to the base?  Or do you propose to use the same pump?
  • The acid and the basic lines and equipment may require different material of construction; do you propose to use a common transfer system for both?  What strength of sulfuric acid are you dealing with?  This is important to know.

For the sake of accurate and specific discussion with subsequent comments and recommendations, I highly recommend you supply a sketch or drawing of the proposed system and a detailed scope of work to allow our member to contribute positive and accurate recommendations.

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,332 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:53 PM   Best Answer

Hi ,

RO stands for Reverse osmosis if I'm not mistaken!

Bozers ??? never heard about it , should be containers ....

Once a month ? What is the consumption per hour or day or week ?

What is the strength of the chemicals ? Where is your plant located ? temperature change over the year ?

Waiting for clarification .

Breizh

Edited by breizh, 27 January 2015 - 10:57 PM.