Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Co2 Recovery From Ammonia Plant Flue Gas

co2 flue gas ammonia plant

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 tarafdar

tarafdar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:21 AM

Hi,

Our Natural Gas composition is such that CO2 & NH3 is produced almost as required in our Urea plant.  Feed NG is about 97-98% CH4.  Excess NH3 produced is about 0.5-1%.  To utilize this NH3, in our 3 old plants we have a CO2 recovery plant where CO2 is recovered from the flue gas of a package boiler in the utility plant.  MEA is used as the CO2 absorbent.  Our latest plants don't have any CO2 recovery plant.

Now we have a proposal for CO2 recovery from the flue gas of our Primary Reformer.  We don't like the idea for the following reasons:

1) Primary Reformer furnace control will be complicated.

2) CO2 recovery plant (of stainless steel) is not viable now a days.

3) Small XS ammonia may be sold as refrigerant for cold storage.

4) If we have to build one,it is better to recover CO2 from utility package boiler as in earlier plants.

Like to hear from forum members.  Do you have similar plants?

Tarafdar

Edited by Art Montemayor, 03 March 2015 - 09:55 AM.
spelling, grammar, composition

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:47 PM

Tarafdar:

I believe what you are trying to describe is that you are short of CO2 supply for your Urea production, as fixed by your ammonia production.  This would be a normal situation for an ammonia-urea complex.  Therefore, you need an additional supply of CO2 and someone (presumably within your organization) is suggesting that you employ the flue gas from one of your existing Primary Reformers as a source for CO2 by incorporating a CO2 absorber and a solution (presumably MEA) regeneration system.  The low pressure CO2 gas recovered would be scrubbed, compressed, dried, liquefied, and stored for use as incremental feed to your urea converter.  Am I correct?

I agree with you that the idea - while attractive - is not a very good one.  My experience tells me:

• The reformer flue gas would be subject to being at a stable, steady, constant flow with almost complete combustion and a minimum of oxygen content.  You cannot ensure this type of reformer flue gas because of varying process firing controls you have on the reformer in order to ensure proper tube temperatures and reformer reaction in accordance with varying operational needs.  You either operate the reformer as an efficient reactor or you operate it as an efficient flue gas producer.  You can’t have both; it’s either on or the other, and the reaction needs to dominate.
  • For efficient CO2 removal you will inevitably have to employ MEA.  This ensures a maximum of CO2 absorption in a 15% wt. solution (max.) and like all amines, it is susceptible to degeneration when exposed to oxygen or carbon monoxide.  That is why you require a close, tightly controlled combustion with little or no excess oxygen.
  • The regeneration section will require low pressure steam and this will impose an additional load on your present steam generation production.  While you may be co-generating steam with your reformers, you may not have sufficient.
  • An independent low pressure, packaged steam generating package can easily produce a complete, balanced, and correct combustion for producing 50 psig steam and a correct flue gas for CO2 absorption.  The steam produced can easily be dedicated solely to amine reboiler use with gravity return to the boiler with no condensate pumps employed.  This type of independent CO2 production can be simultaneously operated by one operator during urea operations or during turn-downs, filling a liquid CO2 storage tank that can serve as a surge tank for steady or incremental urea production of any one of your urea units - as needs be.  This gives you as much flexibility as possible in your operations.

#3 Pronab

Pronab

Gold Member

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:36 AM

MHI (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) design a CO2 recovery plant from  Ammonia reformer ( Haldor Topsoe design Ammonia plant) flue gas that I worked in Malaysia in 1999. I didn't face any problem from an operational point of view.  MHI have their proprietary solvent, KS-1. However due to corrosion nature in flue gas, they might be used SS.