Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Distillation Column Vs Column Subflowsheet In Hysys

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 DANA-IF

DANA-IF

Gold Member

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:24 AM

Hello friends ;

I'm wondering if anyone  know the difference between a distillation column and a column subflowsheet in hysys ?

and in what cases we should use them ? 

Thanks a lot 

Regards !

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:39 PM

A subflowsheet is good to use for portability. You can save it as a template and import it into other simulations. I don't think the normal column subflowsheet has this portability. But you can test it to confirm.

Bobby

#3 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 03:35 AM

Bobby is correct. Sub-flowsheets are normally used when there is a need for modularized approach in simulation, which usually occurs in few cases:

- Simulation case is extremely complex and consists of several different processing units. It makes sense to split them in several dedicated sub-flowsheets (see e.g. Hysys sample file for LNG). This also makes it easier for the user to monitor changes inside the processing blocks, by simply clicking on the related flowsheet rather than drifting through a single main flowsheet and looking for the streams/equipment of interest.

- A sub-flowsheet can easily be added from the main simulation case to another simulation case, simply by extracting (copying) the template and pasting it in another flowsheet. Also, if for any reasons, you want to evaluate performance of your design without certain equipment module/unit, you can simply remove the unit in a single step.

#4 DANA-IF

DANA-IF

Gold Member

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:23 AM

hello all ; 

I think you are not understunding my topic  :D  the column subflowsheet  is located at flowsheet , then add operation then sub-flowsheets then column-subflowsheet ,  my problem is how to add tray number?

I'm wondering if anyone could guide me ?

Regards !

#5 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:52 PM

I think none of us understands what are you saying because it is hard to follow without a scheme. Whether the column is in the main flowsheet or in the sub-flowsheet, double-clicking on the column opens the related window where you can define number of trays, inlet/outlet streams, and operating conditions.

#6 Padmakar Katre

Padmakar Katre

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 992 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:41 PM

Hello friends ;

I'm wondering if anyone  know the difference between a distillation column and a column subflowsheet in hysys ?

and in what cases we should use them ? 

Thanks a lot 

Regards !

Hi, If I am correct, with this option you can modify the column and could replicate as is. You can modify column such as bottom sump with partition plate, thermosyphon reboiler, heat pump arrangement etc. Please let me know any additional info you may need.

#7 DANA-IF

DANA-IF

Gold Member

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:39 PM

Dear all ; 

The example I'm seeing is the Hysys sample file for modeling a crude vacuum system with preheat train

If I'm true they have used prebuilt columns located at flowsheet then add operation