Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Glycol Dehydration Unit

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 carolus

carolus

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:14 PM

hi,

actually, i am not a chemical engineer. but i want to understand some basic concepts of glycol dehydration unit, because it relates with my job.

Glycol is contacted to absorb the water vapor in natural gas, and it is eventually regenerated by using reboiler and still column. i dont understand the process in the still column,  why does the water vapor distilated in the reboiler is contacted again in the packing by rich glycol ? i think it will make the water in the vapour phase will be absorbed back to glycol . why it needs ceramic packing in still column ?

Edited by carolus, 07 March 2015 - 10:21 PM.

#2 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:28 AM

Two opposite processes occur in Absorber and Still Column. Absorption of water vapor from gas to lean glycol takes place in glycol Absorber, desorption of water from rich glycol to vapor phase takes place in the Still Column. In a similar way why Absorbers are designed with several trays (or with a certain length/height of structured packing) - to increase mass transfer efficiency of water absorption, Still Columns are equipped with certain height of random packing - to increase mass transfer efficiency of water desorption.

You can read in more details on the dehydration process by going through the Sivalls' manual uploaded by Art Montemayor: http://www.cheresour...gn-manual-1976/

#3 kiansafaie

kiansafaie

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:36 PM

Using dry gas, help for remove of water as stripper column(still column), gas contains water condensed in condenser section of regenerator top section. On the otherhand, stripper coulmn increase the removal spec of water in completed action for regenerator. It could be deleted if we havent deep dehydration.