Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Hot-Vapor Bypass In Drained Condensers

distillation overhead pressure control

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 HLO

HLO

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:33 PM

Hello everyone,

Previously, I've posted a topic about this (http://www.cheresour...ined-condenser/) and I received many valuables answers.

Now I'm dealing with a similar installation (proposed by a basic engineering), but without air manipulation at the condenser, again with a drained condenser, without a sealed drum inlet from the condenser, with an equalization line running between condenser outlet and drum (to assure a self-venting line), and with hot-vapor bypass controlling accumulator pressure.

Kirster said that is hard to explain how it works (w/drained condenser) and does not recommend it (as I said in my previous post). Nevertheless, to try to resume my way to an explanation I have two questions:

1. Hot vapor by-pass, with a flooded condenser, acts as a heating medium of the subcooled liquid inventory in the accumulator, raising the temperature and the pressure (in case of a pressure decrease at the drum, e.g.by a lower ambient temperature). If condensate is saturated, not subcooled, is it the same principle?

2. To decrease pressure in the condenser, I've found this explanation (from Lieberman), and I assume is valid for an air-condenser (I understand that Lieberman is talking about a water cooled condenser):

"Let’s assume that the liquid draining from the condenser is not quite cold enough to absorb the entire latent heat of condensation of the vapors flowing through the hot-vapor bypass line. The vapors will then be only partially condensed. Vapor will start to accumulate in the reflux drum. This accumulation of vapor will increase the reflux drum pressure by a small amount. The higher drum pressure will back up the liquid

level in the condenser by a few inches. The higher height of liquid in the drum will submerge additional cold tubes with the condensed liquid. The cooler liquid will now be able to absorb more of the latent heat of

condensation of the vapor passing through the hot-vapor bypass line. Eventually, a new equilibrium will be established."

If I sealed the condenser outlet to the accumulator, as is generally recommended,  I could not perform the control described above. Yes with a sealed outlet and an equalization line. What would you recommend: open inlet to the reflux drum or sealed, with an equalization line?

Thanks again!

Hernan

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:58 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Bobby