Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

How To Eliminate Continuous Venting

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 EddyHyip

EddyHyip

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:44 PM

Hi folks,

I have not been practicing process engineering since I have been in my role as an environmental engineer. 

I hope you all can give some thoughts and idea about the problem that I am raising in this forum.

The current separators and surge vessel in the oil with associated gas production site are currently venting off the excess gas, as the main product is the oil. 

It is well known that to prevent venting, we need to route the gas stream not to atmosphere but as an export product. Hence, we need gas compression system for the separators and maybe vapour recovery unit.

We could also convert the vent to flare, with ignition point at the end of the stack. This means we are not utilising back the gas but burn off to reduce the impact to the environment. However experience tells that these often fail and the converted flare stack will just end up venting off the gases

Are there other options that I can consider that helps to eliminate these venting or any conversion of vent to flare that does not incur cold venting in the end?

Edited by EddyHyip, 12 March 2015 - 08:45 PM.

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:10 PM

You really should do the world a favor and burn the gas in a flare. Methane is 10 times more harmful than CO2 as a greenhouse gas.

Bobby