Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Steam Turbine Inlet Pressure

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 abantikag

abantikag

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:56 AM

Can anybody tell me how to select inlet pressure of a steam turbine..steam turbine is generating 210 mw power....

#2 Napo

Napo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:34 PM

Dear Abantikag,

You can review the GPSA, Engineering Data Book, section Prime Movers, for to find a procedure.

Maybe you need a steam at 150 kgf/cm2 (565ÂșC, with intermediate reheating).

Napo.

#3 abantikag

abantikag

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:03 PM

Can u please tell me the name of any reference book

#4 Napo

Napo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:58 AM

Dear Abantikag,

The Engineering Data Book is a Handbook, published by GPSA (Gas Processors and Suppliers Association).

Napo.

#5 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:16 AM

https://www5.eere.en...e?random=Outlet

Consider this resource to support your work and perform calculation.

Breizh

#6 shan

shan

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 692 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:29 AM

If you have no limited condition for your steam generators (boilers), you may select steam pressure and temperature as high as you can to get more efficiency (kg steam/kw) from your generator.

#7 abantikag

abantikag

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:30 PM

Dear Napo

I have gone through 'Prime mover ' section of Engineering Handbook .But i could not find any topic which explains the procedure to select turbine inlet pressure if power output from a turbine is given.

abantikag

#8 thorium90

thorium90

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:03 AM

Hi,

I agree with shan. Typically, you try your best to get the highest pressure and temperatures of steam from the steam generator, then buy a turbine that can do the job. Not the other way around...

Let me elaborate. For example, you have some hot waste gas that is of a certain flowrate and temperature. If this waste gas is 400C, then your steam temperature could never be higher than that. Therefore, the maximum amount of steam you can get is really dependent on where your heat comes from. From here, you calculate the best steam conditions you can get and select a turbine that can produce the power.

As Napo pointed out, one common pressure temperature combination is about 565C and 150Bar. Sounds like a triple pressure with reheat steam generator combination. Its a nice guideline to start with, but bear in mind, the temperatures and pressures you get is dependent on the source of heat, not on the steam turbine.

Edited by thorium90, 27 March 2015 - 12:13 AM.

#9 Napo

Napo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:22 PM

Dear Abantikag,

The procedure is in the GPSA Engineering Data Book, but you need to choose the steam conditions, the following recommendations can you help:

- Branan C., Rules of Thumb for Chemical Engineers, 5th. Edition, Boiler Chapter (9), Power Plant, p. 168.

- Kuppuraj K., Quickly estimate steam turbine power, Chemical Engineering, Dec (7), 1987. The same article in Calculation&Shortcut DESKBOOK, by Chemical Engineering, p. 126-128. Almost the same information in McKetta J., Encyclopedia of Chemical Processing and Design, Vol. 54, p. 139.

- Evans F., Equipment Design Handbook for Refineries and Chemical Plants, Vol. 1, Drivers Chapter (1), p. 15 to 23.

Regards,

Napo.