Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Mass Flow Rate Calcs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Chem885

Chem885

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:47 AM

Hi,

I've recently started working for a company as a graduate engineer.

In one of the excel spreadsheets prepared by one of our senior engineers there is a section which calculates the mass flow rate in pipelines as below:

M=Ro * V * A

Where Ro= density of gas

V= Velocity 

A= Cross section area

We work on different projects with different pressures of natural gas but for all of them they use Ro=0.8 kg/m3 which is the density of natural gas in standard conditions and they don't consider the pressure of gas in the pipeline!

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I say they should calculate the gas density according to the gas conditions in the pipeline.

Your thoughts please.

Thank you.

#2 pdender

pdender

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:53 AM

yes, in that formula for mass flow I would include the density at "operating" conditions,

however I suggest to check the code to verify that it is mass flow with units Kg/s or equivalent,

#3 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:17 AM

Historically, gas/vapor volumetric flow at standard conditions has been used as a surrogate for mass flow rate.  What you have there is proof of this, but it's kind of the reverse, a surrogate mass flow rate.  There is nothing wrong with this as long as it is clearly stated the mass flow rate is based on a gas/vapor density at a specific T and P, i.e. standard conditions.  Most of the issues I've seen are because people get lazy and do not clearly state a T and P for a volumetric flow rate, or a surrogate mass flow rate in your case.

Edited by latexman, 01 April 2015 - 07:21 AM.

#4 Chem885

Chem885

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:04 AM

Thanks guys.