Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Laminar Flow Parabolic Velocity Profile

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Alan.B

Alan.B

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:38 AM

Does the laminar flow parabolic velocity profile still apply to inclined pipes? Say I had a system where a pipe of diameter 150mm is raised through a vertical height of 40m under laminar flow conditions, would the velocity profile still be parabolic?

Thanks!

#2 ankitg009

ankitg009

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:21 AM

As per my knowledge, inclined,vertical , horizontal doesn't matter . Fluid flows because of  the pressure difference applied across the length.. The profile should be parabolic. Just take the frame of reference as an axis parallel to the flow and you will be good to go..

#3 thorium90

thorium90

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:37 AM

I do not agree.

One can analyse the problem using the Navier Stokes equation. Take the horizontal plane as the x component and the height as the y component. In the case of an inclined pipe. Cancel out z terms in the x and y component equations. One will also note that there is the addition of the gravity term. Solve with no slip boundary conditions. Profile is not parabolic.

Attached Files

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,292 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:08 AM

http://www.uio.no/st...eflow_intro.pdf

Consider this resource to support your work .

Goodluck

Breizh

#5 ankitg009

ankitg009

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:33 AM

I do not agree.

One can analyse the problem using the Navier Stokes equation. Take the horizontal plane as the x component and the height as the y component. In the case of an inclined pipe. Cancel out z terms in the x and y component equations. One will also note that there is the addition of the gravity term. Solve with no slip boundary conditions. Profile is not parabolic.

The gravity term will affect the DP across the pipe. The relation will still be parabolic.

A very nice paper by "Breizh" . Thankyou.