Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

- - - - -

Overall Heat Transfer Coefficient Of Condenser

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ndeer44

ndeer44

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:55 AM

I am tasked with evaluating the performance of several condensers around my unit and plan to compare my calculated overall heat transfer coefficients to clean U values.

I have the cooling water flow rate, inlet/outlet temperatures of both streams, the composition of the vapor that is to be condensed, and the total tube area. With this information I can calculate the total duty transferred, and back calculate the flow rate of the condensing stream (assuming complete condensing, which should be true for this stream)

From schooling I remember you can calculate the overall heat transfer coefficient U using 

U=Q/(A*(LMTD))

but for this scenario I expect the Log Mean Temperature Difference will be skewed as the hot side inlet and outlet temperature will be very close, assuming the hot side outlet is not sub cooled.

Are there any other equations I should be using to arrive at my U value or any correction factors that are needed when dealing with condensing streams?

#2 srfish

srfish

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 408 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:30 AM

What about the dewpoint of the condensing stream?

#3 ndeer44

ndeer44

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:43 AM

What about the dewpoint of the condensing stream?

Yes, with having the composition of the vapor I can find the dewpoint at the operating pressure.

#4 srfish

srfish

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 408 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:52 PM

I am puzzled by the expression used " expect the Log Mean Temperature Difference will be skewed as the hot side inlet and outlet temperature will be very close". Very close temperatures would not skew the LMTD.

If you don't have the fouling factors chosen, you could refer to TEMA or some other publication.

For a good condensing coefficient you need the size of the bundle. in  order to determine the number of vertical rows, assuming it is a horizontal heat exchanger.

#5 S.R.Shah

S.R.Shah

Gold Member

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:23 AM

ndeer44

SRFISH has rightly asked for dew Point

To find Clean Coefficient for condensation in existing plants;It requires process details

Different Heat transfer coefficient shall achieve for different type of condensations such as

1.Single Component condensation

2. Multicomponent condensation with out Non Condensable

3.Multi component condensation with non condensable.

Second ,Practically There is no 100% condensation and 100 % Sub cooling with single coolant  .You have to study practical situation.

You shall get your all answers in DQ Kern-Process Heat Transfer

SRSHAH