Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Gooseneck Vent Sizing (Open Vent)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 BOUKHLAZ

BOUKHLAZ

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:12 PM

Dear All,

I would like to ask you some question concerning vent sizing (my first calculation). After calculating the venting requirements according the API 2000, I want now to size the vent (diameter) and I need some information: 

-          What are the criteria in term of velocity and pressure drop we have to follow when doing the line sizing of the vent?
-          What will be the pressure drop ? do we consider only 2 elbows, pipe entrance and exit ? is there any assumption for the straight pipe length and for the insect/dust screen pressure drop?
-          The total pressure drop is the design pressure of the tank (overpressure) is it correct ? how do we calculate the negative design pressure (vacuum)?
-          In case of outbreathing of water storage tank, do we use the air properties to do the calculation? (there are no properties of water vapor at standard conditions)

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Zakaria

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:52 AM

-          What are the criteria in term of velocity and pressure drop we have to follow when doing the line sizing of the vent?

Velocity: Below sound velocity in the same conditions Pressure drop: Below tank design pressure 
-          What will be the pressure drop ? do we consider only 2 elbows, pipe entrance and exit ? is there any assumption for the straight pipe length and for the insect/dust screen pressure drop?

Lower than tank design pressure. Entrance loss should also be considered 
-          The total pressure drop is the design pressure of the tank (overpressure) is it correct ? how do we calculate the negative design pressure (vacuum)?

Maximum total pressure drop can be equal to tank design pressure. Design vacuum around one inch of water column
-          In case of outbreathing of water storage tank, do we use the air properties to do the calculation? (there are no properties of water vapor at standard conditions) 

If the temperature isn't so high, you can use...

Edited by fallah, 14 April 2015 - 01:53 AM.

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:59 AM

http://www.enardo.co..._model_4100.htm

You may consult this vendor .

hope this helps

Breizh

#4 BOUKHLAZ

BOUKHLAZ

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:50 AM

Thanks a lot Fallah & Breizh.

Certainly I will ask you some questions, I have some comments.

Zakaria