Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Piping Materials Selection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 farid.k

farid.k

Gold Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:56 AM

Hye.
Sorry for the simple question. Any reference for the material selection? I.e. For sulphuric acid,carbon steel or carbon steel with ptfe lining. Can I have a complete reference? I have a complete list but some of the chemicals not in the list such as corrosion inhibitor.. So I have no basis for the material selection.

#2 curious_cat

curious_cat

Gold Member

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:06 AM

What concentration of acid? 

#3 farid.k

farid.k

Gold Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:47 AM

What concentration of acid?

Acid 98%. When I referred to material selection, it specify carbon steel.

For corrosion inhibitor I don't know what type of chemical they use..thus I don't know what type of material I can choose.

#4 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:02 AM

For corrosion inhibitor you don't need to worry, it will be Carbon Steel. Otherwise if the inhibitor would require CRA, what is the point of injecting such chemical?

98% H2SO4 is well handled by Carbon Steel at ambient temperatures (up to 38 degC). Another thing is piping velocity limitation: generally recommended for CS is not to exceed 1 m/sec, with SS you can go up to 2.5 m/sec.

There is quite a few topics on Sulfuric Acid at ChE. Try the famous "search" function.

#5 farid.k

farid.k

Gold Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:28 AM

For corrosion inhibitor you don't need to worry, it will be Carbon Steel. Otherwise if the inhibitor would require CRA, what is the point of injecting such chemical?

98% H2SO4 is well handled by Carbon Steel at ambient temperatures (up to 38 degC). Another thing is piping velocity limitation: generally recommended for CS is not to exceed 1 m/sec, with SS you can go up to 2.5 m/sec.

There is quite a few topics on Sulfuric Acid at ChE. Try the famous "search" function.

Your answer never disappointed me.
Thanks so much for the info.
Just that, I need a list of services and suitable material for that.I.e for fire water..what material.. For chlorine gas what material..do you have any good reference? or it will be in the company standard for piping?

#6 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:12 AM   Best Answer

That's a rough task and would require oversight from the Materials and Corrosion engineer. There are so many chemicals and fluids in the industry that no one so far (up to my knowledge) has developed such a comprehensive guide. Then add pressure and temperature variations, presence of corrosive compounds, water, etc. etc. Too many factors.

Try to obtain a copy of the following reference books - they do provide some interesting guidelines:

R. White, "Materials Selection for Petroleum Refineries and Gathering Facilities"

M. Kutz, "Handbook of Materials Selection"

N. Cheremisinoff, "Materials Selection Deskbook" (here you can find some general guidelines - I have attached a material table in this post)

Attached Files

#7 farid.k

farid.k

Gold Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:34 AM

That's a rough task and would require oversight from the Materials and Corrosion engineer. There are so many chemicals and fluids in the industry that no one so far (up to my knowledge) has developed such a comprehensive guide. Then add pressure and temperature variations, presence of corrosive compounds, water, etc. etc. Too many factors.

Try to obtain a copy of the following reference books - they do provide some interesting guidelines:

R. White, "Materials Selection for Petroleum Refineries and Gathering Facilities"
M. Kutz, "Handbook of Materials Selection"
N. Cheremisinoff, "Materials Selection Deskbook" (here you can find some general guidelines - I have attached a material table in this post)

Thanks for the sharing..I've been working with shell and they have a list for that. Say, for fire water, what kind of material..For offshore like crude oil, sour or not sour what is the proposed material..lining.. , it has a list for material selection. Same goes to onshore..nevermind..thanks so much for the sharing..

#8 curious_cat

curious_cat

Gold Member

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:42 AM

+1 to what Dejan wrote. 

MOC selection is one of the most complex topics out there and no good formulaic way exits. 

In addition to the factors Dejan mentioned the exact alloy composition often matters. Things such as heat treatment, stress profile, crevice creation by bad design etc. can matter. 

Also bulk compositions are not even half the story. Often the governing corrosion chemical is something present in  ppm quantities. The bulk might be corrosion safe but this impurity will cause you severe corrosion. e.g. Chlorides for stainless, flurides for glass linings etc. I've seen the opposite example reported too e.g. chlorides are normally very corrossive to stainless but in the tanning industry some of the co-present impurities generate some beneficial protective action against chlorides. 

Another important parameter is the aeration levels. Those can matter a lot. 

One reference I like is "Handbook of Corrosion Data  edited by Bruce D. Craig, David S. Anderson". It has actual industrial & lab data on corrossion rates in various environments. 

I'm still amazed how the same material in slightly different settings can yield such different corrosion rates. Sadly, sometimes apparantly the same T / P conc. conditions at two different sites give such different data that one is foxed. Just goes to show how inexact a science corrossion quantification has remained. 

https://books.google...on data&f=false

Edited by curious_cat, 17 April 2015 - 10:45 AM.

#9 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:45 AM

Richard White's book contains Appendix (A) with guidelines for material selection based on the fluid and service conditions. Fluids are those "most common" in the Hydrocarbon industry.

#10 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,344 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:48 PM

hi farid ,
You may find some tips in the attached documents . Definitely a corrosion expert could help you.
Good luck,

http://www.tantaline...rrosion-57.aspx

http://www.ssina.com...ons/design.html

Breizh

Edited by breizh, 18 April 2015 - 03:16 AM.