Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

How To Set Atmospheric Pressure In Hysys/unisim

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 J_Leo

J_Leo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:55 PM

Hello,

I couldn't find a place to input the atmospheric pressure. I think the dedault should be 14.69psia. For some project sites, the atm pressure is quite different from this number. Where to set the atm pressure in HYSYS/Unisim?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Leo

#2 Ajay S. Satpute

Ajay S. Satpute

Gold Member

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:25 AM

Leo,

A query to AspenTech Support provided below solution;

"
Problem Statement:

How do I change or customize the units/unit set for my simulation?

Solution:

Units can be found by selecting Tools | Preferences, and looking under Units on the Variables tab. The default unit sets Field, SI and Euro SI appear as black and are thus unmodifiable. To create a custom unit set, select one of these to use as a base, and select the "Clone" button.

This will create a duplicate unit set (with default name NewUser) which can be modified. The variables in the list appear as blue and are modifiable. To change the unit for any given variable, select the unit with your mouse and choose an alternate unit from the dropdown list at the top of the view.

For custom units which are not included in Hysys (such as gauge pressure with a different reference pressure for atmospheric), you can select the unit with your mouse and select the Add button. This will allow you to specify a multiplier for the default Hysys internal unit and an offset.

Supposing you wish to create a custom pressure unit which uses 12 psia as a reference pressure, you would take the following steps:
•select the menu choice Tools | Preferences
•select Units on the Variables tab
•ensure that you are using a user created unit set
•highlight the units for the variable Pressure
•select the Add button

psig_user*= .1450 *kPa + -12

It is important to note that standard conditions will not change. That is, variables such as standard density and standard liquid volume flow will still be reported referring to Hysys internal standard conditions, which are either (15 C, 1 atm) or (60 F, 1 atm).

"

Regards.

Ajay

#3 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:06 AM

You can avoid all the trouble with atmospheric pressure if you use absolute pressure units (i.e. psia or kPaa instead of psig or kPag).

#4 J_Leo

J_Leo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:02 PM

Alay,
Thank you very much! Actually I am using unisim right now. I will give it a try following your method. I talked to the support group for Unisim, a guy told me he was not aware of it.

Leo

#5 J_Leo

J_Leo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:04 PM

Zauberberg,
We seldom report pressure in absolute values except vapor pressure.
Leo

#6 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:19 AM

You don't need to report in absolute pressure figures. What I was saying is that you can easily run all simulations by using absolute pressure and then subtract 12 psia from the results to obtain the gauge pressure. Whatever works the best for you.