Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Claus Process Pressure Driving Force

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 asimngage

asimngage

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:09 PM

Hi, 
i was just given a task to present Claus process- sulphur recovery unit. Found in natural gas and oil processing plants.

And a question came into my mind.

As its gaseous process and process starts from furnace to boiler to condensers to reactors.....so on

And it didnt see any compressor through out the unit. How come the gas will continue to flow through the       whole process when considering pressure drop along equipments ?

Need solid answer to defend myself if someone asks.

#2 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:01 AM

Acid gas normally originates from Amine regenerators which operate at a sufficiently high pressure above atmospheric to push acid gases through the Claus unit. Compressors/Blowers are normally not required. See:

http://www.worleypar...ase_Studies.pdf

#3 ahmadikh

ahmadikh

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:27 AM

Generated acid gas in amine unit is going to the amine acid gas (AAG) knock-out drum and the generated acid gas in sour water stripping units is going to the sour water acid gas (SWAG) knock-out drum. Both of these drum are under pressure control (around 1 Barg). Then these two tie together and cater the sulphur recovery unit (SRU). Depending on the pressure requirement in the downstream unit (such as SCOT typically 0.2-0.3 Barg), you limit the pressure drop in all your equipment for the required flow. So, in the entire SRU the gas flows under pressure control and the driving force is only the pressure in the upstream drums and the downstream requirement for SCOT. If the equipment and all the valves are adequately designed for the given flow and allowable pressure drop, you will have a uniform pressure profile all across the unit as expected. All the equipment and valves have low dP.

Hope this helps.

Milad

#4 Linda1978

Linda1978

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:55 PM

compressor is not needed... I am sure about this.

the outlet pressure of amine regeneration system is usually 1 - 2 bar(g) and for the SRU (e.g. claus unit) this pressure is sufficient. Sulfur Recovery Units are Licensed units and technology owner's have designed their units for minimum pressure drop. 

I think no one will ask you this question, but if anyone ask the answer is "accurate design based on technology owner know-how"

good luck