Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Condenser Selection

condenser tube and shell

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 lumen16

lumen16

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 01:38 PM

Hello

When picking a condenser say a tube and shell what are the limitations for the water (cooling) flow? My teacher told it was up to 300m3/h, but i've seen specifications up to 3000m3/h... did he mix up or do tube and shell condensers have this limitation? I was told to pick a air cooler...

Any good books on the subject? 

any help wellcomed

#2 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:50 PM

What is the calculated duty of this exchanger?

3,000 cubes per hour is quite large flow. Irrespective of the required size for the exchanger, or the required number of exchangers in parallel, I think you would rob a significant portion of circulation capacity of a cooling water system if you intend to continuously pull 3,000 m3/hr of cooling water.

Please provide additional information about this heat exchange problem and we can assist further.

#3 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:29 PM

One usually determines the required surface area. Then one decides how many shells are required based on whatever restrictions are applicable. Like weight, diameter, length, temperature difference, etc. As a student, your instructor should be emphasizing the basics of fluid flow and heat transfer, and not be concerned about the physical limits of things. These follow easily, and you will learn quickly after you get your education.

Bobby

#4 lumen16

lumen16

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:09 PM

Reformulating my question Im going to condense a liquid with temperature about 90C to 50C... this is a condenser of a distillation column. My heat duty is quite large. I was also told that the cold fluid enters at 25C and leaves at max 35C. Why am I restricted to 10C Difference for my cooling water? If i change this limit i can get a smaller flow for my cooling fluid... the alternative my teacher gave my was to use air coolers but i find that would be more expensive and probably need much more space...

#5 srfish

srfish

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 408 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:52 PM

Where are you getting such cold cooling water? Also the temperature rise for cooling water is usually more than 10C.