Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pressure And Flow Rate Control Philosophy Of Air.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Shahzad Ahmad

Shahzad Ahmad

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:08 AM

Hello Everyone,

I want to transfer Air with (500NMC flow rate, and 6 bar pressure) from the main header situated at a distance of 350 meter with (min available air 3000 NMC, and P=8-10 bar).

The ketch is attached..

I am thinking for using 2inch dia pipe for this purpose. I want to know how to control the Desired flow and pressure for the said 2 inch pipe if I dont install PCV. 

Incase of orifice plates use, at what location and how much I should install, and how that will control these two parameters.

Your suggesstion are highly apreciated..

Regards,

Attached File  Designing Air flow rate system....xlsx   10.03KB   22 downloads

SAK.... 

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:23 AM

SAK...

You can use a restricted orifice just at the end of transfer line for that purpose as long as upstream conditions (P, T,...) being kept unchanged...

In this way, you should size RO for delta P equal to around 4 bar (10 barg-6 barg) and flow rate of 500 NMC (per your post) or 400 NMC (per the attached file) whichever is desired....!

#3 Shahzad Ahmad

Shahzad Ahmad

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:30 AM

SAK...

You can use a restricted orifice just at the end of transfer line for that purpose as long as upstream conditions (P, T,...) being kept unchanged...

In this way, you should size RO for delta P equal to around 4 bar (10 barg-6 barg) and flow rate of 500 NMC (per your post) or 400 NMC (per the attached file) whichever is desired....!

Thank you fallah,

Actually I need both the pressure and flow rate in control, because I need it for instrument air. Is it possible to install two orifice in parallel, one for pressure regularizing and other for flow control...

Regards,

#4 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:43 AM

Actually I need both the pressure and flow rate in control, because I need it for instrument air. Is it possible to install two orifice in parallel, one for pressure regularizing and other for flow control...

SAK...

Actually, as i mentioned, by using RO and keeping upstream conditions you just would adjust the flow and pressure for that purpose; then those process parameters haven't been controled and have been fixed and adjusted per fixed upstream conditions. Using another configuration, such as parallel ROs or..., nothing to do for flow/pressure control because basically no control has being done...

#5 Shahzad Ahmad

Shahzad Ahmad

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:05 AM

Dears,

I am stuck about velocity calculations, Another thread of the forum it has been mention that

""n API 14E the gas velocities may be calculated using following derived equation.

v = 60*Z*Q*T / d^2* P

Where,

v = Gas velocity (ft/s)
d = Pipe inside diameter, inches
Q = Gas flow rate MMscfd (at 14.7 psia and 60 °F)
T = Operating Temperature °R
P = Operating presssure, psia

Z = Gas compressibility factor""

Using this relation, putting the values, the velocity for 2inch line comes out as 88m/sec. while for 3 inch line it comes out 39 m/sec. 

Now my question is, with which velocity or diameter I should design my system.

Response of members is  highly appreciated.....

Regards, 

#6 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:25 AM

SAK...

It's a new matter. It was better submitted in new thread...