Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Relieving Condition For Psv Sizing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 mosayef

mosayef

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:05 PM

hi all,

i am junior engineer, i need to know how to calculate the relieving condition of PRV. i need to sizing the PRV in the natural gas plant, to separate natural gas from water. i have tried to understand

from this forum, but i need your correction. i have several questions that i hope you can help me to find out :)

a. Set Pressure of PSV is 110/90 x Design Pressure of vessel (for blocked discharge) and 121/90 x design pressure vessel (for Fire case). is that true ?

b. because the liquid that i want to separate from the natural gas is only water (almost no condensate), how do i calculate the heat of vaporization of this ? because it will be used to calculate the mass flow rate in fire case PSV sizing. as far i know , the heat of vaporization it depends on the temperature and pressure. can i simulate this in HYSYS or is it ok to take the most conservative constant  value of latent heat ?

c. how do i calculate the relieving temperature in fire case in wetted vessel (separator gas - water) ? i have no idea for this, but i think if i simulate this in HYSYS, i will put Q (Q= C F A ^ 0,82) to the separator and evaluate the outlet of vapour temperature. 

d. relieving temperature for blocked discharge is calculated by adiabatic compression equation :

Tr = To*(Pr/Po)^(1-1/k) with,

o: operating conditions
r: relieving conditions
k: ratio of specific heats (or adiabatic exponent, isentropic exponent, k-value)

can i simulate the relieving temperature of blocked discharge in HYSYS ? or is it enough by the equation above ?

thanks in advance :)