Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Gathering Line Engineer, Considering Holding A Backpressure

gas gathering natural gas pipeline

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 PetEng1

PetEng1

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:35 AM

Gentlemen,

The transmission line that my company flows into operates between 1100 and 1270 psi. This can vary on a daily basis. Their max allowable pressure is 1270 psi. Our pressure currently just floats with whatever their pressure is (if they are at 1100, we are a couple psi higher. If they are at 1200, we are a couple psi higher).

Since their pressure varies so much, we are constantly having to adjust settings on compressors and wells to meet our nominations.

I was thinking of holding a backpressure of 1270 psi to try to keep things steady on our gathering line. But would this help at all? Basically we would have 1270 psi up to a valve that senses what the transmission line is at, and the pressure would be cut there to match their pressure.

I'm thinking if I did this, and they began the day at 1270 psi and then later on dropped down to 1100 psi, we would then end up packing pressure up in my gathering lines.

Is there any way to make life easier with their constantly changing pressures?

Thanks!

#2 Root

Root

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 293 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:46 PM

Hi

Dump pressure back in compressor suction if discharge pressure go hi, the only disadvantage is energy waste.

Toor