Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Design Equations For Selexol Process Sweetening Natural Gas

selexol process

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 fabri

fabri

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:14 PM

I want to design a SELEXOL process for a natural gas which compunds

13% CO2 ,

86,5 % CH4

0,04 % C2H6

Inlet pressure = 1000 psi

Intet temperature = 100 ºF

Rate of gas = 75 MMscfd

I want to know what equations do you recommend me to use 'cause as I know there isn't a specific simulator who can simulates this kind of process so I would like to have your help.

Thanks

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:13 AM

Fabri:

You are welcomed as a new Forum member.

However, please read our forum guidelines and rules by Chris Haslego and note the first two requests:

1. Please be sure to post to the correct forums.  Students should post in the student forum, while professionals should use the Industrial Professional and other forums.
  2. Please do not post the same question in multiple forums.

By the type and nature of your query, you are obviously a Chemical Engineering student.  You have posted the same query in the Industrial Professionals and in the Simulation Forums.  Please stop making multiple postings of the same topic.

I have deleted the same topic that you posted in the simulation forum and moved the thread from the Industrial forum to this, the Student Forum because I believe you are a student.

We don’t segregate students because of bias.  We deal with Students in a special, supportive, and instructive manner.  Students, in our opinion, are special and require detailed, clear, and basic guidance.

The Selexol Process was developed by the Allied Chemical Corporation and later sold to UOP corporation.  It is a LICENSED process - in other words, it is “leased” to an industrial user with guarantees.  The owner, UOP, controls all the process design and decisions as to its application and the user is allowed to employ the process for an agreed-upon time.  If you have a need to “design” an application of the Selexol process, you have to contact UOP.  I can assure you that UOP will definitely never share any of their proprietary design information.

By the way, there are NO CONVENIENT OR MAGICAL EQUATIONS that allow you to design a chemical engineering process.  Process design involves a series of rigid, disciplined steps that involve ingenuity, prior knowledge, and mathematics.  If you want to use the Selexol process, you should have already done all the up-front research work involved in looking up its history and characteristics.  This first step in Chemical Engineering is vital because it can avoid a lot of wasted time, expense, and effort.

Good luck.

#3 RockDock

RockDock

Gold Member

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:30 AM

The generic solvent for Selexol is DEPG. It is very commonly designed using the ProMax simulation package. Based on a few conversations I've had in the past, I'm pretty sure UOP uses ProMax to model Selexol.