Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Crude Oil Dehydration

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 mosayef

mosayef

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:20 AM

Dear all,

I want to ask about crude oil dehydration processing. The wellstream  which usually contains crude oil and water will be separated in Free Water Knock Out (FWKO) to separate the free water. The dehydration process is needed in order to reduce the emulsified water. As far as I know, there are 3 types of equipment which is usually used to separate the emulsified water :

a. Gun Barrel / Wash Tank (whith demulsifier added)
b. Heater Treater
c. Electrostatic treating 

let say If I have crude oil 2500 BOPD (API 34), 1 MMSCFD Gas. Which equipment do I need to use ? actually what are the consideration to use one of these equipments ? I am confused how to distinguish these 3 equipments, is it enough to use one of those equipments or should I combine ?because sometimes some equipments are the combination of two of those equipments (electrostatic heater treater, for example). 

Could you please tell me If there is a reference / code to differentiate the use of those equipments ?
Thanks 

#2 Robert Montoya

Robert Montoya

Gold Member

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 06:33 PM

Dear; It's depend on spec of crude oil.
If the spec is less 0.5% cut water, you need electrostatic and heater treatment. Heater and electrostatic always are applied in the same equipment, the heat reduce the size of the treater. Here of course you need to dosing using demulsifying. For example oil to sale and as raw in refineries.
In case the crude downstream going to another process, spec >5% you need  any mechanical separators.
The feed to electrostatic heater must at least <15% cut water. It´s very important understand the electrostatic treater is using to break emulsion with small drops. 

Edited by Robert Montoya, 12 June 2015 - 09:48 PM.