Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Change In Compressor Control System

compressor mov

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Davood

Davood

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:20 AM

Dear all, 
When a centrifugal compressor stops, MOV's in suction and discharge lines are closed manually. I have received a query to link these valves to compressor control system that in case of compressor stop, these valves will close automatically. 
what are the hazards of this change? for example, in case of faulty close signal to valves when the compressor is running what may happen? what are advantages and disadvantages?

#2 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:26 AM

Obviously, having an automated shutdown system is much better than operating the valves manually. However, there are trade-offs, as you have correctly pointed out. If one doesn't account for everything in the design, he may be creating even more hazardous environment. One bad scenario I could think of, is to have the suction/discharge SDV valves shut while there is no automatic control on antisurge valve (or no antisurge valve available at all).

There is insufficient information in your post about the existing facilities in and around the compressor package, as well as on instrumented/safety systems and controls. If you want my personal opinion, I'd suggest getting in touch with the compressor manufacturer and/or suppliers of compressor control systems.