Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Fire Zone And Fire Scenario Definition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:45 AM

We are working on the firewater system review for a petrochemical complex, which includes definition of fire zones, fire scenarios, and calculations of the firewater demand. The plant complex consists of multiple process and storage units containing Hydrocarbon liquids and vapors at a wide variety of pressures and temperatures, and size of inventory.

The client does not have any specific codes or standards which need to be followed in the process of establishing fire zones and fire scenarios, so I am looking to hear opinions and advices on how to approach this subject. I have been reviewing API 521, API 2030, API 2218, NFPA 13 and NFPA 15, as well as some handbooks on the subject (Handbook of Fire & Explosion Protection Principles, by D. Nollan).

1) How would you define fire zones within a plant/complex, and what factors should be considered? I remember a recent query in which the whole plant area turned out to be a single fire zone, due to incorrectly designed open sewer system.

2) How would you define/develop fire scenarios? Any consequence modeling involved?

Thanks in advance.
Best regards