Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Control Valve And Ro On Bypass Line

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 sparsha

sparsha

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:38 AM

Dear All

I have a Vacuum Residue feed drum whose design pressure is 25 barg. A PSV is provided for the drum. I have N2 blanketing to that drum to maintain its pressure @ 16 barg. I have a control valve with bypass on the N2 line. N2 used is HP Nitrogen @ 170 barg. The bypass line contains a restriction orifice and a globe valve in the same order . The main control valve doesn't have a RO.

1) I would like to  know why both globe valve(control valve ) and RO are needed on bypass line.

2) If it is to reduce the PSV size during the inadvertent bypass opening case, then we should also have an RO       on main control valve line as the CV can fail open.

3) I have a split range control between the N2 inlet and a valve on vent line(split range blanketing system). What     is the purpose of by pass lines on control valves of a split range blanketing. Does the operator control the           blanketting manually in case any one of the main valve fails?

4) I was thinking the bypass valve will be an indentical to main valve except that it is manually operate. Please       correct me if i am wrong.

Attaching the diagram for reference.

Attached Files

#2 shan

shan

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 692 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:27 AM

The bypass RO is needed to make the bypass overall Cv the same as or similar to the main line overall Cv.

#3 sparsha

sparsha

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:11 AM

The bypass RO is needed to make the bypass overall Cv the same as or similar to the main line overall Cv.

But why we need an RO to meet the Cv. Can't we meet the Cv with the valve alone. I am of the opinion that bpass valve and main valve should be of same size.

#4 shan

shan

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 692 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:24 AM

You have 4 valves (1 control valve + 3 gate valves) on the main line, but just 2 valves (1 globe valve + 1 gate valve) on the bypass line.  Therefore, the bypass line RO is needed to achieve the same combined Cv for the main line and the bypass line.