Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Temperature Control Valve Installation Upstream Or Downstream

tcv

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Dmitry

Dmitry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:18 PM

Hello Dear member,

On our Gas plant we have LPG recovery unit with two boilers for stabilizer and debutanizer column. We use heat medium (oil) to keep required temperature in reboilers. To control temperature on outlet heat medium pipe downstream of reboilers we have Temperature control valves.
For me it's interesting why TV's installed downstream of heated equipment because on the same plant we have gas /heat medium exchanger to preheat natural gas if required. And here the TCV is installed on inlet heat medium piping upstream of heat exchanger.

If you could please give me some information regarding place of installation TCV. May be it depends from temperature in process or from what?
See attached drawing for reference

Regards,
Dmitry

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.JPG   84.31KB   7 downloads
  • Attached File  2.JPG   60.23KB   5 downloads

#2 juche

juche

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:57 AM

Hello Dmitry,

Usually we are having a closed loop for Hot Oil and it is provided with a surge drum, a suction drum, a fire heater and we have multiple users and then Hot Oil is again coming back to surge drum. 

The hot oil temperature at the inlet to Exchange is high where as at the outlet it will be lower. So i can analyse both the cases and see if can save on the metallurgy selection for the TCV then i will install TCV at the O/l of the exchange.

But if i am installing a TCV at the O/L of the exchange and tube rapture takes place and process side pressure is higher than the Hot Oil Side pressure then i need to install PSV on the Hot Oil Side size it for Tube Rupture Case for all the users individually.

Which will be a costly affair so it will be better to upgrade the TVC metallurgy and install it at upstream and keep the Hot Oil O/L valve as Lock Open and install a single PSV at Surge Drum which will be sized such that it can take the highest load of tube Rupture case and fire case also.

Thanks

#3 Dmitry

Dmitry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:04 AM

Hello Dmitry,

Usually we are having a closed loop for Hot Oil and it is provided with a surge drum, a suction drum, a fire heater and we have multiple users and then Hot Oil is again coming back to surge drum. 

The hot oil temperature at the inlet to Exchange is high where as at the outlet it will be lower. So i can analyse both the cases and see if can save on the metallurgy selection for the TCV then i will install TCV at the O/l of the exchange.

But if i am installing a TCV at the O/L of the exchange and tube rapture takes place and process side pressure is higher than the Hot Oil Side pressure then i need to install PSV on the Hot Oil Side size it for Tube Rupture Case for all the users individually.

Which will be a costly affair so it will be better to upgrade the TVC metallurgy and install it at upstream and keep the Hot Oil O/L valve as Lock Open and install a single PSV at Surge Drum which will be sized such that it can take the highest load of tube Rupture case and fire case also.

Thanks

Hello and thanks,

So do you mean that if shell side design pressure less than tube side we should install TCV upstream?

Dmitry

#4 shan

shan

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 692 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:22 AM

Usually, TCV is installed downstream of heat exchanger to avoid vapor flash out across the valve.

#5 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:07 AM

But if the hot oil side would be the shell side with lower design pressure and tube rupture is a credible scenario, anyway a PSV shall be installed on the shells of the all exchangers which will have to be sized for highest load among those of all credible scenarios...

#6 ahmadikh

ahmadikh

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:21 PM

Sometimes downstream is preferred to avoid a thermal shock to the exchanger, in the case of control valve malfunction closure... Also, as stated above the flashing might be an issue at higher temperature

#7 Dmitry

Dmitry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:12 PM

Thanks for reply,

As I understand from comment abovy installation of TCV downstream heat exchanger is preferred since:

to avoid vapor flash out across the valve, at high heat medium temperature

in caseTCV upstream, when temp is low valve needs open and heat exchanger up to temp which takes a while until stable, then overshoots temp setpoint, valve closes

- it will give smoother control downstream because heat meadium fluid in exchanger if TCV is downstream will be at temperature of heater (minus piping loss)

Any another causes?

Dmitry

#8 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 01:58 AM

I would also add the following: in your first drawing, hot oil flows through the tube side, whereas in the other drawing hot oil is on the shell side. Shell side is usually designed for low(er) pressure.

If the shell side of the exchanger is designed for less pressure than the hot oil pump shut-in pressure, one would need rather large pressure relief device on the exchanger. For tube-side, designing for high pressure is normally not an issue, but for shell-side high pressure design costs a lot. It may be the case that the designer had chosen a TCV upstream of the exchanger to avoid blocked outlet scenario resulting in large PRD.

#9 juche

juche

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:47 AM

But if the hot oil side would be the shell side with lower design pressure and tube rupture is a credible scenario, anyway a PSV shall be installed on the shells of the all exchangers which will have to be sized for highest load among those of all credible scenarios...

Fallah,

I feel we can avoid providing PSV on each exchange if TCV is provided upstream of the exchange in hot oil line and downstream valve is locked open and you have design the shell for 10/13 rule and downstream piping till the isolation valve. PSV will be provided on the surge drum which will be able to take the load of governing case and while deciding governing case you have to consider all the exchanges/users of hot oil into consideration (for tube rupture and other applicable case).

thanks

thanks 

#10 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:51 AM

I feel we can avoid providing PSV on each exchange if TCV is provided upstream of the exchange in hot oil line and downstream valve is locked open and you have design the shell for 10/13 rule and downstream piping till the isolation valve.

juche,

Anyway you should consider a PSV on the shell side of each exchanger for code compliance...

#11 Dmitry

Dmitry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:38 AM

Thansk all for replies!

Regards,

Dmitry