Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

What Is The Smart Way To Extract True Tc And Pc From Unisim/hysys

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 J_Leo

J_Leo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:00 PM

Hello,

I found that Unisim Stream Reporter cannot extract true critical temperature and pressure directly from simulation. I have to attach the utility to each stream and use Design Browser to extract them. It is very tedious because there are many streams and many cases for the H&MB.

Anybody have used a better way to extract Ture Tc nd Pc from the simulation?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Leo

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:07 PM

Use the utility provided as you have suggested. It's the only thing that gives critical temperature and pressure (I think). I don't know if versions later than HYSYS 2.4 do things differently. And, why can you possibly need Tc and Pc for every stream? You really only need true Pc for boiling heat transfer coefficients . And it is only needed at pressures near the critical pressure. Otherwise the pseudo values are sufficient to use with correlations. But, if you want them all, you can do this through automation with Excel VBA. Maybe there are already modules at the Honeywell support site to do this. I always fetched the true critical values for the situation where they are needed. This is usually a very small number.

Bobby

Edited by Bobby Strain, 14 July 2015 - 10:25 PM.

#3 J_Leo

J_Leo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:44 PM

Bobby,

Thank you. Our ealier HMB were issued with True Tc and Pc by Others. I cannot delete these items for the new revisions. I have to go with them. I am using Unisim Design Brower which can extract True Tc and Pc. To do this I have to add the utility to each stream and use GetUnisimDesign function in excel to connect each cell with the stream utility. It is very tedious.

Thank you,

Leo

Edited by J_Leo, 15 July 2015 - 12:45 PM.

#4 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:28 PM

So, you must do that, or follow my response about using VBA in Excel. It shouldn't take you long. You just have to create one utility, give it a stream, fetch the values, then remove the utility. Repeat for all the streams. Or create one for each stream, fetch the values, then delete them all (or not).  You can probably find what you need, or something similar, on Honeywell's support site. Or find someone who will do it for you. All process engineers should learn to use process simulator automation through some programming language that can read and write to Excel.

Bobby

Edited by Bobby Strain, 15 July 2015 - 06:48 PM.

#5 serra

serra

Gold Member

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:16 AM

which is the reason to use true Tc, Pc ?

If you need to do something in Excel (or Matlab or Mathcad etc.) then in my opinion much better to use a library

and simply put a macro as StrTc() , StrPc() in a cell to get rigorous (True) Tc, Pc etc. see

"http://www.prode.com...seenvelope.htm"

Note that in many cases you will need the so called pseudocritical values (not the rigorous values).

Edited by serra, 16 July 2015 - 06:17 AM.

#6 J_Leo

J_Leo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:50 PM

Serra,

I don't understand why they got True Tc and Pc in HMB either. I always used Pseudo properties before. The method you mentioned looked more complicated to me.

Regards,

Leo

#7 serra

serra

Gold Member

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:54 AM

then, if rigorous Tc, Pc are not required, continue to use pseudo crtical properties,

the method is not more complicate it is the only way to calculate rigorous critical properties,

different procedures are available, Prode Properties adopts direct minimization of Gibbs while

Hysys has Heidemann and Khalil,

both procedures are slow compared to the simple (or weighted) average of pseudo crtical properties

and in some cases do not converge (there are mixtures without a vapor-liquid critical point)

so my suggestion is to use these procedures with care and only when required...