Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Nitrogen Needed To Transload H3Po4

nitrogen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 sdelafue

sdelafue

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:45 PM

Hello,

My process involves transloading phospohoric acid from a railcar to a single truck.

The process uses nitrogen pressure transfer as the method to mobilize phosphoric acid from the railcar to the truck.

My question is, how do I calculate the amount of nitrogen needed to fully transition the phosphoric acid from the railcar to the truck.

Thank You

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:17 PM   Best Answer

I unloaded rail cars with nitrogen for some years.  It's the same type of fluid transport except mine was more complicated because I had to ensure the phenol was melted and stayed fluid.

What you do is that you calculate the nitrogen pressure required to displace and move the Phosphoric Acid from the rail car to the truck.  The major problem with this system is avoiding a nitrogen "breakthrough".  Unless you have a means of capturing and containing the nitrogen that follows the phosphoric acid into the truck.  There are various ways to mitigate this event and you should develop a detailed P&ID showing how the operation can be carried out in a fail-safe manner.  You have to calculate the entire line pack as well as the volume of the rail car.  This will give you the amount of nitrogen needed to displace the phosphoric acid.  The ultimate pressure of the nitrogen in the rail car will be the sum of the hydrostatic head + the line & entry/exit losses the phosphoric acid has to overcome.

I don't particularly like this fluid transfer method because it is subject to some safety measures.  But some consumers are cheap and won't invest in a more secure pumping operation.