Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

What Causes Pressure Drop Increase As Flowrate Decrease?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 camad

camad

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:40 AM

Let says that gas outlet pressure for my LP separator is 6 bar (fixed) and it going to gas compressor. The inlet pressure for gas compressor decrease as flowrate decrease. I show you some example :-

For inlet pressure for gas compressor 4.7 bar, the flowrate is 23mmscfd but for inlet pressure for gas compressor 3.3 bar, the flowrate is 18mmscfd.

Why this happened? Can anyone explain to me please. Thank you.

*These are further information that might be useful

-current supplied to operate the motor of gas compressor is decreased

-anti-surge control valve for gas compressor is increased

-more percentage of gas leaving from LP separator going to HP flare

#2 shan

shan

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 692 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:29 AM

To maintain the same actual volumetric flow.

#3 camad

camad

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:41 PM

To maintain the same actual volumetric flow.

Could you explain further please mr shan?

#4 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:09 AM

A P&ID of this process would help us help you.

#5 shan

shan

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 692 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:01 AM

You have a positive displacement compressor (I guess), which compresses the identical actual volume of gas at the suction conditions for each stroke.  The same actual volume of gas at higher pressure is larger than that at lower pressure when the gas is converted to the standard conditions. 

#6 camad

camad

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:08 PM

You have a positive displacement compressor (I guess), which compresses the identical actual volume of gas at the suction conditions for each stroke.  The same actual volume of gas at higher pressure is larger than that at lower pressure when the gas is converted to the standard conditions. 

A P&ID of this process would help us help you.

Data for pressure drop

from left : data at jun 2013, jun 2014, and jun 2015

V1030 Outlet Pressure (bar)

V1030 Outlet Flowrate (mmscfd)

K2430 Inlet Flowrate (mmscfd)

K2430 Inlet Pressure (bar)

K2430 Inlet Temperature (degree celcius)

K2430 Outlet Pressure (bar)

K2430 Current to Operate the Motor(A)

V1030 Outlet Flowrate (MMCF/D)

https://cdn.fbsbx.co...e=55B7A2B8&dl=1

https://cdn.fbsbx.co...e=55B7C792&dl=1

I hereby attached some link to my PFD and graph, hopefully u guys cab help me. Thank you.

#7 camad

camad

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:53 AM

You have a positive displacement compressor (I guess), which compresses the identical actual volume of gas at the suction conditions for each stroke. The same actual volume of gas at higher pressure is larger than that at lower pressure when the gas is converted to the standard conditions.

FYI, I am using dynamic compressor which is centrifugal compressor. Why does the compressor maintain the inlet volumetric flowrate? Is it to maintain the efficiency of compressor or any good reason? Thank you for your reply sir.

#8 shan

shan

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 692 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:29 AM

6 bar is the LP Separator operating pressure (inside vessel pressure not "outlet pressure"), which is controlled by a PCV.  The pressure at downstream of PCV is controlled by the compressor.  The same actual volumetric flow rate is because of the same RPM of the compressor.  The higher differential pressure of compressor is, the lower compressor flow rate per the compressor performance curve. 

#9 camad

camad

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:12 AM

6 bar is the LP Separator operating pressure (inside vessel pressure not "outlet pressure"), which is controlled by a PCV. The pressure at downstream of PCV is controlled by the compressor. The same actual volumetric flow rate is because of the same RPM of the compressor. The higher differential pressure of compressor is, the lower compressor flow rate per the compressor performance curve.

Mr shan.. May I know what is the equation that I should use to calculate the actual volume?? FYI, im using dynamic compressor with constant rpm and straight through impeller.. How does this effect the actual volumetric flowrate? If I was not mistaken, suction pressure increase as flowrate increase buat discharge pressure increase as flowrate decrease.. Am I right?? Could you elaborate it?? Thanks sir

Edited by camad, 03 August 2015 - 12:14 AM.