Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Oil Refinery Process Engineer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 cjre2

cjre2

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:17 AM

hello there.  Just wanting to check if there are studies already on the number (and technology/complexity) of oil refinery process units that one process engineer can effectively handle.  I am reviewing the current manpower of our process engineering department and would like to know if the current manpower count is really capable to handle the task.  Sorry this is not typical "chemical engineering" question but would appreciate if someone can share in case there are studies out there related.  THank you.

#2 Profe

Profe

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 316 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:21 AM

Hi CJRE2

My vision:
To specialize in refining processes, a chemical engineer is fine, but requires training in relation to oil refining, which provide companies specializing in refining and design. Information that can be obtained through Google looking like "refining process engineering training" . Some are online or classroom such as UOP (Universal Oil Products) and others are engaged as the case of IFP (French Petroleum Institute) but by checking the website you can get a better picture of the scope of each option.
In my case I worked in an oil refinery and took the course of UOP which broadened my vision as a chemical engineer, focusing on the oil refining process that are not reviewed in the curriculum of Chemical Engineering. The course was attended by about three months. (Long long time ago). Today varies between 45 days and teaching aids are the latest generation. When I took the course pen and paper and a scientific calculator, compared with simulators and packages physicochemical properties currently available was used.
Ultimately it opens up a world of possibilities to Che Eng.

I think that will be useful for you.

For details look the following link: https://www.honeywel...on- seminar.pdf

Fausto

Edited by Profe, 12 August 2015 - 11:30 AM.

#3 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:55 PM

You might first want to develop job descriptions for the positions in question. Then it should be a simple matter to translate these into staffing positions.

Bobby