Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Laid Off Process Engineer In Alberta

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 TS1979

TS1979

Gold Member

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:09 PM

I am a professional chemical engineer with more than 25 years experience in R&D, Projects and plant operation environments. I have a master degree from prestigious universities. Recently, due to low price of oil, oil sands companies cut budget to reduce the production cost. I just lose my job recently. Any Advise?

Thanks.

#2 thorium90

thorium90

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:24 PM

Hi,

Sad to hear that you are out of work. Perhaps you can take the time to relax for awhile then look for another job. During the time, think about what you would like to do; stay in the same type of job or move to a different type. When you are back, prepare your resume which targets the industry and job type you are looking for and start sending out.

Or perhaps you can take the spare time to learn something new? When I was looking for a job some time back, i spent the spare time taking a course in Ansys CFD. I didnt know if it was going to be useful, but it was a subsidized course and I was interested...

As you have mentioned that you have been in projects and operations for 25 years, might you consider consultancy? Perhaps you might find your experience put to good use there.

Perhaps you might look around at companies that you have had relations in the past, they would know you better and might be able to make use of your talents.

#3 P.K.Rao

P.K.Rao

Gold Member

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:54 PM

Day will come after night. Light will come after dark. Do not worry. You are a chemical engineer with solid experience. You can do many things. Go back on the pages of your career. You will find some bright spots on which you can start working. 

#4 TS1979

TS1979

Gold Member

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:49 PM

Thanks for the responses. Then I can spend more time on the forum to help young engineers and learn something myself.