Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Aspen Plus Vs Aspen Custom Modeler For Reactor Model In Flowsheet

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 daraj

daraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:46 AM

Hi for a prelimianry process flowsheeting/design/economics usually we use aspen plus and do not go into aspen custom modeler as it involves rigorous modeling with fortran code and such. It is also not very user friendly for those unfamiliar with it.

I just wanted to know how many of you have used aspen plus reactor in-built models itself for developinga plant flowsheet that has reactor at its heart and i your experience how reliable has it been?

Iam trying to find out that under what circumstances does switching from aspen plus to aspen custom modeler becomes a must?

i believe aspen models does a fairly good job with simple reactors andalso has langmuir-hinshelwood type kinetics built in. Can it be used for conceptual process design and economics where you have the typical reaction-separation steps with either fixed-bed reactor/tubular or shella nd tube reactor or even fluidized-bed.

Iam trying to see how far can i stretch aspen plus without getting into ACM

Objective is conceptual design and preliminary capital cost estimation

Thanks

#2 serra

serra

Gold Member

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:45 AM

for custom models I would much prefer Mathcad or Matlab over the Fortran available in simulators,

for some examples see

"http://www.harveyhen...and-new-school"

the alternative being that you wish to create a object to use regularly with your simulator,

but also in that case the limited number of features available to code and test (debug) the model should be carefully evaluated...

#3 daraj

daraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:32 PM

Hi serra, the question I have is hiow much I can get away with using aspen plus inbuilt reactor models before switching to ACM(Iam not used to coding much)  and where do the aspen reactor models fall short

#4 serra

serra

Gold Member

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:32 AM

of course, I reported my experience with Fortran in Aspen,

it is difficult to create custom models,

(std.) built in models are good (assuming they can solve your problem),

as said for custom applications I prefer different tools (which is my answer to your question about ACM),

ACM can be useful if you wish to create objects to use with Aspen software.

Edited by serra, 08 September 2015 - 12:51 AM.