Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

- - - - -

Reboiler Design In Mechanical Vapour Recompression Cycle

reboiler distillation reactor tema

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Svenicide

Svenicide

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:51 AM

Hello all,

I am designing a reboiler to be implemented into a reactor configuration. The reactor (five sieve plates) works through the following mechanisms: a liquid at 200 degrees C is fed to the top stage, reactions occur throughout the column in 'chambers' (stirred cells between sieve plates) in the liquid phase and the product (furfural) is quickly stripped from the liquid to vapour phase (the distillate leaving at the top stage) using steam supplied from the bottom stage. 

Due to the very small temperature difference between the top and bottom stages (200.0 and 200.3 C, respectively), the MVR cycle is economical and works through compressing the vapour distillate from 15.6 to 18.6 bar in a rotary screw compressor. The compressed vapour (225 C) is then used to partially vapourise the liquid/solid residue stream (bottoms). The vapour is the reboil to the reacor, and the liquid is used in heat integration elsewhere and then filtered (liquid bulk to recycle/wastewater treatment, solid bulk to boiler). 

The reboiler inlet streams are as follows with the design specification that the hot-side is condensed:

Hot-side (in - vapour): 225 C, 18.6 bar, 9101 kg/hr, 9 kg/m3
Hot-side (out - liquid): 207.5 C, 9101 kg/hr, 860 kg/m3

Cold-side (in): 200.3 C, 15.6 bar, 12261 kg/hr, 883 kg/hr
Cold-side (out - vapour): 200.8 C, 8820 kg/hr, 8 kg/m3
Cold-side (out - liquid/solid): 200.8 C, 3441 kg/hr, 933 kg/m3

I have a few questions, but as this is my first post I will just ask one first:

What TEMA type would likely be suitable for this application?

I have done several designs in ASPEN Plus (EDR Console) using several different configurations (I understand that it doesn't handle higher density liquid/solids streams). I think that a horizontal thermosyphon reboiler with the liquid/solid bottoms in the tube-side (high fouling) would be best, and have therefore specified A CJL configuration (C = integral tubesheet & removable bundle; J = divided flow, nozzles 1 in 2 out; L = removable channel with flat cover). I've also specified a square pitch and single segmental baffles with vertical orientation.

Thank you very much for any assistance,

Kind regards,

Joel