Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Nitric Acid Absorption Tower Design

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Aditya1994

Aditya1994

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 05:26 AM

Hello guys , I have been given a topic to design an absorption tower , which is used in the production of nitric acid. The absorption tower involves chemical absorption and not physical absorption. This is where I am stuck as I cant find any good material as how to approach chemical absorption. Can anyone guide me how to tackle it or can provide any good article regarding it or any simulation software. I am still at undergraduate level, so not very experienced with it , but trying to approach the problem.

I am able to find the compositions of feed streams , but I don't know where to find the equilibrium data , rate constants , mass transfer coefficients etc. that will be required. Will be grateful if anybody can help me. Thanks in advance.

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:26 AM

You should ask your professor to give you a project that you can actually accomplish. Very few practicing engineers can do what you are asked to do. We always depend on the process licensor for such as this.

Bobby

#3 Francisco Angel

Francisco Angel

Gold Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:28 AM

Hi Aditya 1994:

I'm currently in the middle of developing a simulator for the absorption of NOx gases into water. The references that I'm using for that are:

1. Simulation of NO x gas absorption under adiabatic condition andcomparison with plant data (J. A. Patwardhan)
  2. INVITED REVIEW ABSORPTION OF NOX GASES (J.B. JOSHI)
  3. Modeling    and    Simulation    of    NOx    Absorption    in Pilot-Scale    Packed    Columns (N. J. Suchak)
  4. Multicomponent gas absorption with multiple reactions: modelling and simulation of NOx absorption in nitric acid manufacture (M. P. Pradhan)
  5. Review of Mass-Transfer Correlations for Packed Columns (G. Q. Wang)
  6. Rigorous modelling of NO x absorption in tray and packed columns (Bernhard Hüpen)

I agree with Bobby, this is a difficult task, so be sure to use a model with a complexity that allows you to complete it in the time you have available.  Remember to have something functional first; after that, you can add more elements one by one.

Hope this helps.