Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Disel Vacuum Dryer Vs Coalescer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 shvet

shvet

Gold Member

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 11:33 PM

Now I'm working on вiesel vacuum dryer revamp (increase of productivity, new is ~60 t/h) and as I found out there is some problem with diesel. Water residual has to be ~40ppmw and no more than 50 ppmw. From time to time water residual is 300-500 ppmw and operators can do nothing.

I would like to know more about vacuum dryers and coalescers. Can I suggest to replace vacuum dryers with something else, for example coalescer? Can anybode share information about hydrocarbon treatment from water?

#2 PingPong

PingPong

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:37 AM

If your vacuum dryer does not operate properly, you should focus on solving that problem.

Start looking at operating T and P of the dryer in periods when it operates correctly (<50 ppmw), versus periods when it does not dry correctly (300-500 ppmw). Maybe there is something wrong with the vacuum system.

A coalescer can only remove free water droplets, not dissolved water.

A vacuum dryer also removes most of the dissolved water.

You could add a coalescer in the cold diesel line to storage to remove free water when the vacuum dryer is not operating properly, but I don't think that that will reduce the total residual water to below 50 ppmw.

#3 gegio1960

gegio1960

Gold Member

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:58 AM

Shvet

I share Pingpong advice. Vacuum drier is, for sure, the best option.

Of course, they can't meet the spec if they are either undersized or when working in upset conditions (i.e. loss of vacuum or very high water content in the feed gasoil).

Anyway, I know of refiners that obtain the dried diesel by leaving the wet diesel for long time (days) in the tanks. This could be a possibility in case of limited time upsets.

Moreover, your spec seems very conservative (usually it's 100 ppm).

How much is the productivity increase with respect to the original design for the drier? (you say 60 t/h now, but nothing about the past).

good luck

#4 Profe

Profe

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:05 PM

Hi Shvet

Try the following link about salt dryers: http://www.ogj.com/a...nates-haze.html

Good luck

Fausto

Edited by Profe, 17 September 2015 - 02:06 PM.

#5 shvet

shvet

Gold Member

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:37 PM

Thanks a lot, guys

What about adsorbtion?