Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Positive Displacement Pump Working Philosophy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 farid.k

farid.k

Gold Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:56 AM

hye all,

I don’t know whether this has been discussed or not before. But I did searched and I didn’t find what I really want and I don’t know the keyword to write. This is regarding to the positive displacement pump working philosophy. As we know, for the positive displacement pump running theoretically will be independent of discharge pressure which means that the pump will keep on pumping and the pressure will keep on increasing if there is any blockage at the discharge until the relief valve pop-up or any internal parts of pump or discharge system failed. Am I correct?

The questions are:

What parameter need to check if existing positive displacement pump need to be relocated to a new location and there is a very significant pump discharge piping modification which is additional 300 meter piping length. Does the pump will be adequate to deliver liquid at new location? Based on the working philosophy above, it should be adequate to do so isn’t?

What happened if due to the significant additional pipe length, the pressure drop increased and exceed the discharge pressure stated in the pump datasheet AND also the set pressure of relief valve?

For centrifugal type, it is common to see the minimum flow line. For the PD pump, normally don’t have the minimum flow line isn’t? If yes can I know why or what is the reason?

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 06:19 AM

http://www.pumped101...cs_displacement

You may find what you are looking for reading the documents attached.

Good luck.

Breizh

#3 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:09 AM

Check the backpressure at pump discharge and motor size.

Increase line size or relocate pump or change to new pump or add a second pump.

A centrifugal pump operates on it's pump curve from minimum flow to end of the curve.  Some call it a (relatively) constant head machine.  A PD pump is a constant volume machine.  That is very different.

#4 farid.k

farid.k

Gold Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 07:52 PM

Check the backpressure at pump discharge and motor size.

Increase line size or relocate pump or change to new pump or add a second pump.

A centrifugal pump operates on it's pump curve from minimum flow to end of the curve.  Some call it a (relatively) constant head machine.  A PD pump is a constant volume machine.  That is very different.

Dear latexmen,

The backpressure is remain same. The pump is actually for the firewater foam injecting the foam to the fire water line via balanced pressure proportioner device. The issue is the new additional pipe routing is quite long and it is about 300 meter additional. I trust that it will cause a quite significant additional pressure drop. What say you?

#5 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:27 PM

I get the feeling I do not understand your application.  There is an additional 300 meters of discharge pipe, but the backpressure does not increase!  I do not understand that for a PD pump.  Maybe a sketch or more details can help us help you.

#6 farid.k

farid.k

Gold Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 09:07 PM

I get the feeling I do not understand your application.  There is an additional 300 meters of discharge pipe, but the backpressure does not increase!  I do not understand that for a PD pump.  Maybe a sketch or more details can help us help you.

dear latexmen,

i mean back pressure from fire water will remain same. yea i do agree with you that "build-up" back pressure will increase due to additional piping. sorry for the error. will upload the sketch asap.

#7 farid.k

farid.k

Gold Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 09:33 PM

dear latexmen,

kindly refer sketch

Attached Files

#8 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:53 AM

I see now.  If you calculate the pump can deliver the design flow rate of foam concentrate to the IBP's, considering recirculation back to the foam concentrate tank (i.e. backpressure at pump discharge is not excessive), then the new location and pipe and fittings size is okay.