Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

- - - - -

Lng Buffer Tank Cooling Down Rate For Lng Carrier

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 rishirga

rishirga

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:52 AM

Hi all

I am new to this forum.

I want to calculate LNG buffer tank cooling down rate and time before to start LNG transfer into the tank. Cooling down temp need to set up -130.C AND I was told that total cooling down time will vary from 10-12 hrs. Any suggestions will be highly appreciable.

Regards

Rishi

Edited by rishirga, 05 October 2015 - 12:47 AM.

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:20 AM

And, why do you need to do this?

Bobby

#3 rishirga

rishirga

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:53 PM

Hi Bobby

I need to calculate cooling down rate per hour (mean how much temp will reduce in a hour)  along with required Qty of LNG for cooling down before to start transfer LNG into LNG carrier. Before to start loading operation, LNG buffer tank need to cool down through LNG spray which might take 10-12 hr or less.

Thanks

Rishi

#4 rishirga

rishirga

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:42 AM

Hello All

I did some kind of calculations for time required to cool down the LNG tank before to start loading process for LNG carrier.

Attached is calculation sheet. Normal cooling down time is recommended 12-15 hr depends on site conditions, however my calculation results are showing more time and I am bit confuse whether I am on right track or not.

Your comments are highly appreciable.

Thanks

Rish

Attached Files

#5 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:59 AM

Hi,

At first :

Something is weird in your calculation : Heat transfer coefficient .

Probably you should search (engine)  in this forum similar calculation performed on vertical tank .

Good luck.

Breizh

Edited by breizh, 05 October 2015 - 02:16 AM.

#6 rishirga

rishirga

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:13 AM

Hi Breizh;

Thank you for your comment and suggestions. You time is highly appreciable indeed.

There will be a lot of factors coming into play. Based on filed operations what I have seen that there should not a drop of 10 c per hour, so calculation supposed to based on dT= 1 hr. But unable to set up the calculations.

After, I suppose to find, how much liquid LNG I suppose to pump into tank to extract the heat because liquid LNG will first absorb the heat and evaporate to gas without change in temp means latent heat of vaporization then further this evaporated vapor will further absorb hear and reach certain temp.

I do have this process in mind which works logically at field. The calculation which you were referring through search engine on this forum might not the same which I am trying to set up.

Your further suggestions are most welcome.

rish