Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Liquid Carry-Over In Compressor Service

compressor carryover removal rate efficiency

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 MTumack

MTumack

Gold Member

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:05 AM

Hello all,

I am a Mechie that designs equipment; often times I get sucked into doing some preliminary / checking process calculations (ie,carryover, retention times, Slug sizes, meshpad sizing, column sizing etc) in order to ensure good designs and that we may stay competitive; if a client needs a 30" ID column and I quote him the 48" ID column he requests, I'll never win the job.

I am currently designing a vessel here that is a vertical flash / stabilizer unit for relatively stable condensate; On the outlet the client is to have an aerial cooler that heads straight to a compressor; I assume there will be a scrubber before the compressor, however, I think it would be best practice to size as though there were not with respect to liquid carry over, as I think we could potentially see some condensing in the Aerial cooler if there is too much carry-over. I also think it would be best practice, as who knows... maybe they aren't putting a scrubber before the compressor and are relying on my vessel

Are there any rules of thumb for how much carry over is allowed in a compressor service? To be honest, I don't have a ton of experience with respect to this, I just know you are screwed if you get liquid in your compressor. My customer is not asking for a particular Carryover, and when I asked for clarification, they

Does anyone have any comments with respect to this?

Thank you,

MT

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:18 AM

If we had more information we could offer better suggestions.

Bobby

#3 MTumack

MTumack

Gold Member

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:22 AM

I suppose I am looking for a rule of thumb as for what kind of removal efficiency is required. What additional information would be required?

I have read that 98% of all particles 5-8 microns in diameter should be removed?

#4 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 12:26 PM

You can visit my website where you will find separator sizing software. If plug your numbers into the program, it will size your vessel. Save the results and attach them to a reply. Google my name to find the site.

Bobby

#5 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:43 PM

Hi ,

Consider this resource to support your work :

http://www.red-bag.c...sel-sizing.html

Breizh