Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pump Control Trip

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Vegeta

Vegeta

Gold Member

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:41 PM

Dears,

What should we do if we want to stop a pump automatically at low liquid level that pumps from a storage tank and the storage tank does not have a level transmitter (or it has a malfunctioned one)?

One more question: what does RTG means? as I hear it frequently from instrumentatio engineers.

Regards,

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:10 PM

What should we do if we want to stop a pump automatically at low liquid level that pumps from a storage tank and the storage tank does not have a level transmitter (or it has a malfunctioned one)?

One more question: what does RTG means? as I hear it frequently from instrumentatio engineers.

Vegeta,

A low level switch can do the job as an alternative to the level transmitter...

I guess RTG means Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator...

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,347 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:49 PM

Vegeta ,

A LSL is a must to prevent cavitation and damage to equipment , should be defined based on NPSHr ( +margin) .

RTG : you need to ask the meaning to the Instrument guy , be careful with acronym ( RTG may mean Radar Tank Gauge ) as per document attached .

Good luck.

Breizh

#4 cylai

cylai

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:08 PM

Hello Vegeta,

Regardless you will need a start / stop signal. Are there any spare nozzles at the bottom where you can install a level switch? (Not recommended to add without evaluating the nozzle elevation, type of switch, internals, tank fluids, and so on). Top is also possible if you plan to go for magnetic or rod type. If you put it on timer, eventually the tank will be emptied (and pump will dry run) or the liquid accumulation will overflow, not recommended.

RTG - Radar Tank Gauges, according to my Instrument colleague.

Apologize that I can't be much of a help...

Lai

#5 AZIZ_MN

AZIZ_MN

Gold Member

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:11 AM

Hi, Vegeta,

if pump discharge is having pressure or flow transmiter, you can provide interlock on low pressure /flow indication which will tripp the pump,  or high opening of flow cotrol valve in pump discharge can send signal to stop the pump,  as low tank level will change NPSH of pump and discharge control valve will open more to matain ur operating setpoint of flow, by involving ur instrument engineer better and more efficient and more safe tripp interlock logic can be write

#6 Vegeta

Vegeta

Gold Member

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 02:55 PM

If we have the intensional of shutting of a pump by low pressure switch(s). Where will be the best location to install it? At the pump suction?or at the tanks outlet nozzles? Or somewhere else?

Thanks to all for your support !

#7 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:08 PM

If we have the intensional of shutting of a pump by low pressure switch(s). Where will be the best location to install it? At the pump suction?or at the tanks outlet nozzles? Or somewhere else?

Vegeta,

It should normally be installed at pump discharge...