Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Using Aspen Software To Model Tank Emptying

aspen decanting transient

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 bridgerlady

bridgerlady

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:12 AM

Good morning community,

I am a current Undergraduate student, and I am working with Aspen Plus to model the emptying of a full tank. To my knowledge, Aspen Plus is used to determine steady state calculations. However, the process I would like to model is transient. I am looking to analyze the temperature and the pressure inside the tank as it empties at a specified flow rate and pressure. Is there a way to use Aspen Plus to attain transient data? In this process, a tank needs to be filled, flow to the tank needs to be shut off, and then an outlet valve needs to be opened.

Regards

#2 Lucian Gomoescu

Lucian Gomoescu

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:33 PM

Hello,

You can export the file from Aspen Plus with Aspen Dynamics format.

You may follow these steps:

1. Go to Data Browser>Setup>Specifications and change Input mode to "Dynamic".

2. Define the streams and for the tank (separator block) go to Dynamic>Vessel and change type "instantaneous" with "vertical" or "horizontal" and insert its dimensions.

3. Go to tank Input>Specifications and choose Pressure and Heat Duty (at least this is what i understood from your topic).

4. Run the simulation. You can make a dynamic simulation only after the run is succesful.

5. Go to File>Export> and save file as either "Flow Driven Dyn Simulation", either as "P Driven Dyn Simulation" (from the topic i didn't understand 100% the scenario).

Observation:

In a flow driven dynamic simulation, the stream flows are manipulated directly, pressures result from the hold up dictated by the flow rates.

In a P driven dynamic simulation, the stream flow rates are defined implicitly by pressure-flow relations  and pressure differences (you no longer define streams flow rates directly). Pressures dictate hold up implicitly via pressure-flow relations. Thus, in a P driven simulation you'll have to define pressure changers (e.g. pipes, valves, pumps etc) between operations blocks.

So far, your scenario seems to be solvable with a simple flow driven dynamic simulation (you mentioned "specified flow rates", which sounds as "fixed flow rates", in my opinion).

#3 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:26 PM

Hi,

While I understand the need of your assignment being implemented in Aspen Plus (Dynamic module), you may want to understand the physical laws of mass / momentum flow of a liquid-filled tank being emptied out through a small opening. If you desire so, please refer the excel workbook available at the following link:

http://www.cheresour...ndrical-vessel/

Regards,

Ankur.

#4 bridgerlady

bridgerlady

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:59 PM

Thank you Ankur and Lucian for the input.

I should have included that the simulation is for a gas. Also, Lucian, I have a working steady state simulation. The setup is simply a flash drum with the required input and output flows. My concern is that I would like to retrieve information about the temperature and pressure of the gas within the tank. Currently, within Aspen Plus, I am required to supply a feed stream along with two of the following: temperature, pressure, or heat duty, specified for the flash drum. For my specific situation, a tank with one inlet/outlet valve would be allowed to empty at a specified pressure and mass flow. No heat, would be supplied, and the temperature and pressure within the tank would fall as the gas leaves. I hope this clarifies the situation. I am new to Aspen Plus and may be misunderstanding portions of the simulation setup.

#5 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:15 PM

Hi,

If it is gas and you need to know the temperature and pressure over time as the gas releases from a vessel then have a look at this:

http://www.cheresour...through-a-hole/

Regards,

Ankur.