Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Drain Pipe From Mixing Tank (Gravity)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 lersanil

lersanil

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:10 AM

I need to work out how to best design the drain pipe from a 5000 L mixing tank

It will be installed in an existing facility and the drain pipe can not run any way nor any size I want (it must move around existing equipement)

The tank is located 6 metres above ground level in a building of approx 30 metres with an interconnected drain network which I can't easily follow visually. They are under atmospheric pressure but I cannot locate the air vents in the area where I need to tie in, they must be much higher in the building.

Tank dimensions: 1.63 m wide, approx 3 m tall, GRC dome at bottom/top. 

Tank outlet valve: 2 inch OD (Kv 50)

This is connected to an outlet pipe for product outlet which has to the drain 

During draining the tank is vented (under atmospheric pressure)

There is a process air connection on the tank which means it could be pressurised to 1 or 2 bar if needed

Problem

Optimise the time to drain 730 L of 2% NaOH at approx 80°C under gravity flow  without

- taking too long (if it takes too long the operators migth invent their "own" solutions to speed things up)

- overpressurising the drains

- causing back-contamination

I have used the formula V = Cd A (2 g H)^0.5 to calculated the different flow out of the tank possible under different height conditions assuming Cd = 0.8 and using an orifice diameter of 42 mm.

When the tank is 730 L full, the flow is at about 13.5 m3/h

This reduces to 7 m3/h at 410 litres then to about 5 m3/h when it is nearly empty (there is nearly always a small column of what as the tank bottom has been modified to be fully drainable with a low point).

Inserted a sketch how the pipe will probably have to run on the two different levels of the building (tank level & level below), there are constraints such as pipes and ventilation machine already in the way of the pipe run.

The new pipe planning is shown in purple

It would join an existing pipe shown in blue which is horizoantl with slight slop until it reaches a vertical section just next to the large colum.

My questions

1. Do I need to include an air break to prevent back contamination, and if so where is the best place? I thought of putting a vertical pipe just at the point the pipe bends 90°c and penetrates the flow but a) how high should this pipe go B) what diameter c) what if hot NaOH rises back up it?

2. Is a siphon compulsory? It causes extra pressure drop

3. If I open the exit valve fully I calculate the Froude numbers to be bewteen 1 & 1.6 with a 2 inch OD (50.8 mm OD) pipe. This is much higher than the 0.3 recommended to self-vent the flow but allowas the fastest draining. I think I could increase the drain pipe (and still keep a slope) to 2.5'' but this would still be Fr > 0.3. The only way to reduce Fr is to throttle the flow and take longer to drain. But do I need to?

#2 lersanil

lersanil

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:25 AM

Sorry this posted before I could finish typing

The tank outlet valve is connected to an outlet pipe for product outlet but has a tee to a drain valve as well, which isolates the tank from the drain (normally closed), also 2''. The pipe and valve will be sloped at 2%  or more until they reach the vertical section.

4. Can I consider full flow regime in the sloping horizontal section just after the tank outlet? What about increasing the pipe diameter ONLY for the vertical section, reducing it again (full flow) in the sloped section in the technical area below? 

5. If I do need to increase the drain size (eg to 3'), is it OK to do it after the 2'' drain valve or must I do it immediately after the tank outlet valve?

The existing drain pipe which it ties in to is about 4 inch or 100 mm OD

I will upload the plans and post them as a reply.

#3 lersanil

lersanil

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:41 AM

Here is the dropbox link to the files

You need to open them in pdf to see the sketches pasted inside them, not just use the online viewer.

https://www.dropbox.... lev0.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox....n lev1.pdf?dl=0