Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Cost Of Electricity

utility cost electricity

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Bal

Bal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:08 AM

Hello, 

How do you estimate the cost of electricity for equipment?

In Turton's book (Analysis, Synthesis and Design of Chemical processes), 3rd ed., there is a table in chapter 8 (Table 8.3) and it lists type of utility with its cost per common unit. I tried to find the basis of these numbers, but I couldn't.. like what's the ref.? what's the yr at which those cost were obtained?

Then I checked chemical engineering resources website, and I found a paper (Engineering practice) on estimating the utility costs by :Gael D. Ulrich and Palligarnai T. Vasudevan. The corrolations given in the paper relates the cost of electricity to the CEPCI and to the fuel cost, for example (they do make sense :)   )

Now, I tried to retrieve the values given in turton using those equations: for example, the cost of electricity is:

1.1e-4*(CEPCI)+0.011*(fuel cost ($/GJ))= $/kW-hr 

Where

CEPCI in Turton 3rd ed. is 397,

fuel cost from Turton, table 8.3 (assuming natural gas) is 11.1 $/GJ,

The cost from the correlation is 0.16 $/kW-hr, but the cost of electricity in Turton table 8.3 is 0.06 kW-hr. 

If coal was used instead of natural gas, the value from the correlation would have approached the value in turton's table..

What do you suggest???

In turton, I don't know the basis upon which those numbers have been estimated. Also, I don't know the type of fuel used to generate the electricity and from the electrical utilities are supplied......

Shall I rely totally on that paper? what about the values in Turton??

#2 Bal

Bal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:40 AM

The cost of electricity obtained from EIA is different from Turton and from the correlation 

http://www.eia.gov/e..._revenue_price/

#3 Francisco Angel

Francisco Angel

Gold Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:53 PM   Best Answer

Dear Bal:
You can also search information regarding industrial prices of electricity from sources like: OECD documents, your country's Ministry of Economy or Energy, your country's National Institute of Statistics, etc.

Governments generally have available good quality information for free. It depends on what country are you studying of course, EEUU government have huuuge pages, with tonnes of information.

Best regards.

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:32 PM

Bai,

You may contact the company selling electricity in your country , best and reliable way I think.

Breizh