Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Vle Calculations

vle deethanizer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 eonation

eonation

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:20 AM

Hello everyone, I'm trying to design a de-ethanizer to separate methane,ethane from C3+. I have already build the tower using VMGsim. Now I'm trying validate the values I got from this software through hand calculation. Im planned to do this using macabre-thiele method by creating a pseudo-binary system of ethane vs propane. The problem is that I can't seem to find the VLE data for this system. Usually, I could use the raoults law, antoine equation and daltons law to generate a set of VLE data but I can't since dalton's law only applies for low-med pressure system. Whereas the de-ethanizer column I'm designing is at 2600 kPa operating pressure. Is there another way that I can generate VLE data for ethane vs propaneat high pressure?

Thank you 

#2 PingPong

PingPong

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:42 AM

You do realise that such hand calculations will not be very accurate?

Anyway, if you really want, you can use charts to obtain (estimated) equilibrium K-values for ethane and propane.

Well-known are the DePriester charts which you can find in Perry, or on the internet.

The API Technical Data Book also contains some charts to estimate K-values.

And so does the GPSA databook.

Note that K = x/y

and relative volatility of ethane to propane is: α = KC2 / KC3

#3 srfish

srfish

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 408 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:47 AM

eonation,

You could use the convergence pressure method. You can find this in the Natural Gas Processors Suppliers Association  (NGPSA) Engineering Data Book.

#4 Napo

Napo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:28 PM

Eonation,

You can check the article: "An equation to relate K-factors to pressure and temperature", by Mark McWilliams, in Calculations&Shortcut Deskbook, published by Chemical Engineering, p. 102-104.

Also, Principles and Modern Applications of Mass Transfer Operations by J. Benitez, 1st ed., 2002, Ch. 6: 6.10 Mixtures of light hydrocarbons: m-value correlations, p. 370-371.

With this equations you can do a spreadsheet.

I hope help you.

Napo.

#5 Padmakar Katre

Padmakar Katre

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 992 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:06 AM

Hello everyone, I'm trying to design a de-ethanizer to separate methane,ethane from C3+. I have already build the tower using VMGsim. Now I'm trying validate the values I got from this software through hand calculation. Im planned to do this using macabre-thiele method by creating a pseudo-binary system of ethane vs propane. The problem is that I can't seem to find the VLE data for this system. Usually, I could use the raoults law, antoine equation and daltons law to generate a set of VLE data but I can't since dalton's law only applies for low-med pressure system. Whereas the de-ethanizer column I'm designing is at 2600 kPa operating pressure. Is there another way that I can generate VLE data for ethane vs propaneat high pressure?

Thank you 

Hi,

Search in Google, I am sure you should get some open literature on this topic. You can also try with process simulator which can do this for you.