Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Heat Exchanger

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 PrashanthPetro

PrashanthPetro

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 02:25 AM

Dear Sirs,

Quite a bit of confusion choosing the type of heat exchanger for my application.

Chlorine cooler:

Chlorine content : 82 % (wt)

Inlet Flowrate: 806 kg/hr

Since the flow rate of chlorine gas in low, i have choosed gasketed type plate type heat exchanger instead of shell and tube heat exchanger. And prepared specification and have sent to vendors.

Vendors not quoting for gasketed type. Alfa laval qoted for compabloc heat exchanger.

please give comparision statement for  Compabloc exchanger vs Shell and tube exchanger.

Regards,

Prashanth

#2 Napo

Napo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:02 AM

Prashanth,

I send you information about this theme. I hope help you.

Napo.

Attached Files

#3 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:25 AM

Prashanth:

As a chemical engineering student assigned to submit a design on a chlorine process, you should be prepared to explain and defend what you submit (or recommend).   I would not recommend any gasketed joint for a chlorine application unless it was a special, scrutinized, and approved installation.  The potential leak of chlorine poses a highly dangerous event for operational personnel and should always be a consideration before using a gasketed joint.

If you have a relatively small chlorine flow stream (as you admit), then use a totally welded, alloy spiral type of heat exchanger.  These are available for this type of application; a Graham Heliflow type is just one example.  You can also fabricate your own cooler.  I've done this before in several applications.   Look in Kayode Coker's great book, "Ludwig's Applied Process Design for Chemical and Petrochemical Plants", Volume 3; 4th Edition; Chapter 15, Heat Transfer, for examples and illustrations.  You cannot deal with a hazardous chemical like chlorine without taking the proper safety precautions and applying special, safe procedures.  Safety with hazardous chemicals is something that has been lacking as an engineering course and study in universities and unfortunately is not addressed until the young engineer is working out in industry and on his/her own learnings.

For an example of the type of exchanger, go to:  http://www.cheresour...ger/#entry99562

and download the great heat exchanger manual that our experienced member Breizh has attached.  Look  in page 8 and you will get a good idea of the type of exchanger that I write about.

#4 PrashanthPetro

PrashanthPetro

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:19 AM

Thanks for your information

Prashanth