Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Time Cycle - In And Out Flow Rate

separator - time

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Balaji Rao

Balaji Rao

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:45 PM

I Have tank of fixed volume, i know the volume of the tank, i know the flow rate into the tank, i want to control the the flow rate out of the tank or calculate the outlet flow rate to suit a fixed residence time. In a way i know Inlet flow rate, volume of the tank, residence time and i need to calculate the outlet flow suitable of to meet the RT for a given volume. I  am looking for the relation between Q1, Q2, Vt, RT,

Q2 to find given Q1, Vt, RT.

Although it looks easy, i forget the simple things.

Regards

Bala

#2 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:49 PM

Bala,

To know the outlet flow rate you need to fix the outlet size of the liquid outflow. You can use the spreadsheet at the link below with permutations and combinations of final time and outflow nozzle / hole size to determine the RT, if your tank has a "Vertical Cylindrical" geometry:

http://www.cheresour...ndrical-vessel/

Regards,

Ankur.

#3 samayaraj

samayaraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 05:09 AM

Hi Balaji,

Look at the attached excel sheet where I have shown how to calculate the height of liquid required to maintain given residence time.

As the liquid starts filling in a tank, inflow may not be equal to outflow and the level in tank changes gradually. At a certain height of liquid, the inflow equals outflow (i.e. equilibrium) and further change in liquid level will not take place. At equilibrium, let the height of liquid in tank be 'h'.

For outflow, the required head is h + Piping head (piping is below the tank) - losses. By using a control valve in the outlet, you can control the outflow in order to maintain a constant height/ residence time in the tank. Look the below link which will be helpful to calculate the required head and line size.

http://www.cheresour...ng-calculation/

I hope it helps.

Attached Files