Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Calculations For Reboiled Absorber

reboiled absorber reboiled absorber calculation hysys separation processes distillation column

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 MUKhan

MUKhan

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:14 PM

Hey everyone,

As part of my senior thesis, I am facing difficulty in sizing a reboiled absorber for my design project. I happen to know the feed temperature and pressure and know the inlet compositions as well. I also understand that a reboiled absorber is a distillation column without a condenser and only a partial reboiler.

I would like to know how to exactly approach manual calculations for a reboiled absorber in regards to minimum number of stages, the feed stage, the reboiler as well as top stage pressure. What parameters should be known and how to calculate the other parameters? I do happen to have an estimate regarding the isomerate composition (the bottoms from the reboiler).

Any help will be greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:32 PM

Have you done any research or work effort in finding out what the topic is, how it works, where, when, and how it is applied?  You should do your basic engineering search requirement first - at least look in Google and other search engines.

I believe Dr. John J. McKetta (late head of the Chemical Engineering Dept. at the University of Texas)  in his book, “Encyclopedia of Chemical Processing and Design”, Volume 1, discusses the topic of reboiled absorption and gives a detailed example calculation:

https://books.google... design&f=false

#3 MUKhan

MUKhan

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:35 PM

Thank you for the feedback Mr. Montemayor.   :) I already know about the resource you linked, and did Google and searched libraries for this before posting on the forum. The method Dr. McKetta described is a rigorous distillation method of calculation with a tray-by-tray analysis and already had the pressure of the column defined. I was hoping to know if there is any way to find the exact reboiler/top-stage pressure, which Dr. McKetta hasn't described.

#4 Napo

Napo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:47 PM

MUKhan,

You can review the book "Absorption and Stripping" by P. Chattopadhyay if you are in India.

Napo.