Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Vessel Entry During Shutdown

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 mido

mido

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:37 PM

I work in a gas plant consisting of four trains.  We propose a shutdown for two trains for inspection purposes.  We discussed positive inspection and clean-out isolation procedures for the vessels with our managers and two plans were studied:

Plan A is to isolate every vessel individually (every vessel will have a minimum of three points to achieve positive isolation) a big number of points appears in this plan that required a lot of spades (blind flanges), gaskets, and manpower.

Plan B is to positively isolate the boundary limits of each train and isolate the vessels by valves only.  This plan will reduce time, manpower, and materials but our managers refuse to use it because our standards require positive isolation during vessel entry.

My question is: Although the standards require positive isolation for every vessel, can we use plan  B which makes positive isolation for boundary limits only - and what are the standards used in isolation required for maintenance???

Thank You  

Edited by Art Montemayor, 10 December 2015 - 01:05 PM.
composition, grammar

#2 siraj paracha

siraj paracha

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:44 PM

Well you have to stick with plan A as confined space entry requirements says that vessel or any confined space should be blinded from the nearest points.
Though it will cause you more money in terms of manpower and time but personnel safety is the utmost priority.
Hope this answers your question.
Best of luck.

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:30 PM

mido ,

Plan A only , with associated permits, atmosphere control , watchers ,.....No compromise .

Good luck.

Breizh

#4 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:40 PM

Would you enter all the equipment isolated with plan B?

Bobby

#5 P.K.Rao

P.K.Rao

Gold Member

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:44 PM

I agree with plan A. No compromise with human life.

#6 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:13 AM

mido,

Normally plan A is to be considered...but to evaluate if plan B can be employed, you should provide the detail of the relevant procedure/manual and the schematic diagram of each train including the valves and their sequential actions along with the purging detail... 

Edited by fallah, 10 December 2015 - 10:47 AM.

#7 manojkaila

manojkaila

Gold Member

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:49 AM

I suggest Plan A and even daily checklist before man entry of all blinds or some visual indication on blind tags. In shut down there are many party & changing work situation. 

#8 Napo

Napo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:41 AM

Mido,

You can review the book: The safe Isolation of Plant and Equipment by HSE (Health and Safety Executive), UK, 2006.

I hope help you.

Napo.

#9 mido

mido

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 01:08 PM

Thanks every one for answers, and from answers i can see that all people prefer to isolate every vessel.

Mr.Fallah, for Plan B the blinds will be at every point in plant which connected to live system ,every vessel have two isolation valves and bleed  and the purge proposed to be two times with 5 barg and 2 hrs continuous purging with N2 for 2 hrs for all the shutdown plant.

Mr.Bobby, not every vessels in the shutdown plant will be entered.

Mr.Napo, Thanks for reference i will download it now.