Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Rating Of Air Cooled Exchanger

air cooled exchanger rating

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Mathi

Mathi

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:17 AM

What are the criteria of rating an air-cooled exchanger?

When I read certain articles, I got the idea that the following parameters shall be checked. They are air face velocity and pressure drop across the tube.

Should the velocity across the tube and tube be checked? What other parameters should be checked?

#2 S.AHMAD

S.AHMAD

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 786 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:14 AM

Dear Mathi, could you please let us know more information for example are you evaluating the performance of an existing air-cooled exchanger or are you designing a new one? Once we the the purpose only then we know what are the essential parameters.

Best regards

S.Ahmad

#3 Mathi

Mathi

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:15 AM

S. Ahmad

I am evaluating the performance of an existing air-cooled exchanger. Initially the exchanger operated at 140 barg, as the well pressure decreased, they want to operate it at 100 barg.

My Colleague suggested to use the momentum at inlet nozzle and pressure drop across the tube.

Your comments are much appreciated.

#4 S.AHMAD

S.AHMAD

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 786 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:21 AM

Lower operating pressure means a set of new operating conditions.1. What important is to check whether the existing air cooled exchanger has sufficient surface area to cool down the stream. The process data that is essential for rating an existing  exchanger is the flow rate, gas and liquid properties and the new operating temperatures. We also need the exchanger datasheet.The flow rate and gas composition is affecting the heat transfer coefficient and the temperature shall change the LMTD Flow rate and temperature shall change the heat duty. 

Based on existing data determine air flow rate from heat balance and determine the operating fouling factor. That means you need to do performance test run on existing cooler.

S.ahmad